Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken

Options
crghc98
crghc98 Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever do one in the egg. I've done one the past couple of years for a xmas party and its been a hit. This is my first year with the egg and I was thinking of smoking it.

I'm thinking cooking time wouldn't be much different as it is usually done at a low temp.

Any thoughts or advice? I will probably make Mad Max's gravy to go with it.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    shoot, i did one last year. ..if i can find the post i'll put it up here. ...and i did gravy for it that was spectacular!!. .. made the stock with both the turkey parts AND the duck carcass. ..made for the best stock and resultant gravy we've ever had. ..in fact, for this year's thanksgiving turkey, i may just buy a duck and throw it in the stock pot just for the purpose of improving the gravy!!!. . .

now, to see if i can find that post from the archives!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i found it. ....

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=395871&catid=1

and as i recall, 300 degrees dome temp worked really well to get the heat all the way to the center without drying out the turkey breast meat (and i also did the icebags on the breasts for 30 minutes ala the mad max turkey!!) ....
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Thanks! Great post. I'll go down the path with the stock as you are right, even in the oven I think the drippings are just all fat and not good enough for anything but a fatty gravy.

Unfortunately I won't have any left overs at this party so no chance of making that pot pie, but what a great idea.

Thanks
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    good luck. ...it was one of the best things i've ever made in the egg. ..the flavor was fantastic. ...go with just one nice chunk of apple or pecan for just a nice hint of smoke.. .and like i said, adding the duck carcass to the stock pot will make for amazing gravy. ..
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one I did last year with a little cajun flair.

Turkey, Turducken, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 15Lbs Turducken, Stuffed Creole Style, Tony Chachere's
    *****Marinade*****
    2 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
    6 Ozs. Orange Juice Concentrate
    1 Tbs Oregano
    1 Tbs Pepper, Black
    1 Tbs Cumin
    2 Tbs Kosher Salt
    2 Cups Lemon Juice, Fresh

Procedure:
    1 For a regular unstuffed turkey, marinate the bird over night in a plastic container. This will make enough for a 10-12 pound bird. Saved the basting juice and made a gravy, little tart, but good!
    2 Stuff the bird with lots of garlic and cook as you normally would, using the marinade to baste. Baste the bird every now and then. When done, use the drippings and add some corn starch mixed in cold water and make a gravy.
    3 This marinade is used for turkey, Cajun Style, however I used it for a Turducken.
    4 Marinated turducken for 2 hours. Just basted the turducken. Did not put in any container like the unstuffed bird, 'cause figured the dressing would get mushy. It was a little anyway, but not because of the way it was marinated.
    5 Placed in large BGE 350°F, platesetter legs up, NO SMOKE! 15 pound bird, 20 minutes/pound if defrosted. Internal temperature 160°F. This bird took 5 hours. 6 Roasted in rib rack, turned over, top of drip pan.
    7 Covered with foil the first 4 hours and then removed the last hour to brown up.
    8 Rested for 45 minutes.

9Removed drumsticks, thighs and wings, only bones on bird. Split down center and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Marinade, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/03/10
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    did you just do a butter roux?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yep, basically emptied the pan that i roasted the turduckhen in, so i did have just a little bit of browned crud in there, but no drippings per say, just what i scraped up as did the butter/flour roux, then added my wine and started adding that great turkey/duck stock. . .. still made for the best gravy ever. . ..