Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon Shelf Life Question

Options
Nils
Nils Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seen lots of pretty pictures of BB Bacon, so going to do it myself here in the next week or two.

More is always better, so I plan on making several pounds of it at once. Like to know, whether I keep it all myself :evil: or share it with others :) how long of a shelf life should this have in a refrigerator at 37-39 deg F?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I made a bunch last year, cut it into 4" chunks, then vacuum sealed them individually and froze them. -RP
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I have 8 pounds curing in the fridge now. Was planning on slicing the whole thing and vac sealing in portions. Am I better off to freeze it in chunks?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I thought it might retain moisture a little better, just guessing though. -RP
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sharing is always a good idea. Folks always say "wow this is good....and you made this?"

As far as refrigerated shelf life goes I stick with a week. On home cured things like BB, the top benefits are satisfaction that you made it yourself, flavor and texture, not preservation.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    I agree with Wayne on the fridge time. It also freezes well. If you have a Foodsaver it should be good for a few months at least. :)
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    Pretty much anything I grill/smoke/BBQ has dinner guests going, "OMG - you made this?" ;)

So figured on handing lots of it out, but wanted to be able to know how long to keep it before freezing it, or know better what size chunks to freeze.

I'll be seeing a lot of family over Thanksgiving weekend - but I'll be 120 miles away from my egg :( so now I know smoking it the weekend prior and packaging it in smaller packages ready for freezing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!