Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the egg really designed for high temperatures?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recieved a new firebox from BGE to fix the old cracked one on Friday - the old one was in three pieces. The first time I used the new firebox - you guessed it - it cracked. I was doing the 700 degree steaks.[p]Anyway, do you suppose the egg is really good for high temp?
There seem to be lots of cracked fireboxes reported.[p]btw - the folks at BGE were very good about sending the first replacement out - I hope they will be good about the second, too.[p]$25 for shipping and handling.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Rob, Yes! I have yet to hear of a outer casing cracking, but the firechambers tend to have a lot of extremes in cold drafts at high temperatures. I would tend to take it easy for a few burns to try and condition em for a week or so. You can do nice steaks at 600 degrees with little problems. Just move your two minutes per side to three minutes and a few more minutes in the closed postions. E.mail me if you like..
    C~W

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Rob,[p]I think that its just the nature of the beast right now. If you hve a BGE, you will have or get a cracked firebox. Mine cracked early on also and I too posted to the group and was reassured that its common and in NO WAY effects the cooking. I got a replacement from where I purchased my BGE, shipping was $8. To this date, I'm still using the old broken box, in 3 pieces now but other than that, no problems at all. I'm sure BGE is working on the problem but bottom line is that its not a real problem as it doesn't effect the performance at all. Glad to hear that BGE was responsive to your inquiry of them, their customer service is awesome.[p]Troy
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Char-Woody, I think the firebox is protecting the outer shell by keeping the extreem heat of the burining coals off of it. Of course the dome catches hell, literally, when the temps hit 800 and better, but I think direct contact with the coals is so extreem that something has to give,, thus, make sure that the firebox remains intact even if it does have cracks. I wouldn't cook in it if there was an opening that could allow the contents of the firebox to contact the main shell. And if the outer shell is a tougher animal than the firebox, how-bout using a medium outer shell as a firebox. Better living through chemistry. :^)

• King-O-Coals,[p]Good comments - My firebox failures (and others that I have read about) seem to originate at the holes that are in the firebox that are there to allow air flow. I don't know if the presence of the holes creates a weakness, or if it is a different ceramic material.[p]

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I just had a thought. I've read that Europeans season thier ceramic bakeware by burying it in the ground all winter (or used to), then using it, presumably in fires. This came along with a cookware recommendation of submerging the same crockery in water for a day or two. I wonder if soaking the firechamber for a few days (then letting it dry) would toughen it up to the temperature extremes?[p]Mary

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Rob,[p]A curcibel of the highest order. [p]Elder Ward