Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather BBQ’n

Shwiezzee
Shwiezzee Posts: 304
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just question to the eggers stuck with winter. This will be my first winter with the egg. I’m wondering with the cold/extreme cold, do I need to do anything different and will the temp change from vary cold to vary hot effect the egg?

Thanks
J
I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    nope nothing will change except what you are wearing and you need a shovel to get to them :) we will NOT be wintering in Maine this year YAHOOOOO :woohoo: but in Port Charlotte FL instead :) But our eggs are very handy and hard working in the winter just as they are in the summer :)
  • Wear thicker socks and a sweater when you go out to cook
  • Shwiezzee,

When it is extremely cold like -34C you have to open the vents a little more. I think there is a greater thermal transfer through the ceramic. To me the egg is a lot easier to regulate in the cold.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There are a few things you might like to do to get ready for winter. If your Egg is on a deck/patio, by a door, place the Egg closer to the door, and keep a snow shovel handy.

Get a cover for the Egg, just so spells of freezing rain don't end up shutting it with a shell of ice.

Expect that it may take a bit longer to come up to temperature, but once there, it will act the same as in warmer weather.

If you use a torch to start the Egg, keep the gas tank inside, cause the amount of pressure from a ice cold propane/MAPP tank will be too small.

Consider hot toddies instead of beer while you tend the Egg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no issues, no change. really.

the thing absolutely loves snowfall. my temp holds better when there's a nice quiet steady snowstorm. pretty cool

you won't notice any difference in fuel consumption. there might be one, but i haven't ever noticed it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thanks so much guys,

We got our first few inches last night and the thought of not being able to use my egg was causing some anxiety! I will do all the above including the toddies instead of beer. ;)

Thank-you
    J
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We are having very strange, but nice weather here in Maine this week, over 60 today! I will take it. we are packing to go to a huge show in VT and this is much kinder to the furnaces with the doors open toting stuff out to the truck and trailer.
  • Have a good but safe time!

take care
    J
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    I would be amazed if anyone had said there would be any real difference.

No direct BGE experience in winter, since I just bought my one-and-only in September. But I did have a Weber while stationed in Germany oh-so-many-years ago. I used to use it when ever I was not out on maneuvers. I did get a lot of "look at the crazy American" looks when there was 2 foot of snow on the ground, and the wind was doing 20-30 knots, and temp was in single digits (farenheit) and I was cooking stakes. Only difference I saw under those conditions was that the side facing the freezing rain/snow had a 2 inch or so area that was noticeably cooler looking - so you move the steaks a few inches over, and run back inside where its warm!

Take extra safety precautions though. These are obvious, but still happen too often in my book:
    1. Wear gloves when handling anything metal! bare skin burns and sticks to frozen metal similar to hot metal

2. Don't forget your beer outside - frozen beer does not taste as good as "cool" beer

3. Watch your footing on ice/wet surfaces. Just because you'll eat something after you dropped it on the ground, doesn't mean your guests always will

4. Store your lump in a dry place

5. If you wear glasses - be prepared for them to get fogged up (going from inside to out, outside to in, opening grill top, etc)

6. Keep plenty of extra lump on hand. If/When power goes out, can still cook plenty of great food!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    The egg doesn't mind the cold - just the chef, but the proper mixture of adult anti-freeze cures that problem. When this picture was taken last winter here in Illinois...
    IMG_2125.jpg

note the -14° outside temp - I forget the wind chill factor but it was cold!
    IMG_2131.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Egg - fine.
    Egghead - not too good.

GG