Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Mini for RV camper?

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have a new RV travel trailer and we will be doing a lot of camping over the next few years. I have a nice portable propane grill which I took on our first few trips but I just couldn't enjoy the food after converting to egg life nearly a year ago. So now I am looking to buy either a Small or Mini egg for the RV.

SIZE: We want to have a large enough grill area to cook enough meat for two people, plus at least one side dish such as beans, potatoes, carrots, etc. Doing an occasional turkey breast, pizza, or small pork butt would be a big plus but not an absolute necessity. Small has the advantage here obviously since it has a larger grill area and they don't even make a plate setter for the mini.

STORAGE: Our external storage compartments on the RV are probably not big enough to hold either of the eggs but we might be able to make and mount some kind of storage box on the front hitch or the rear RV bumper. Looking for some ideas here. If the custom enclosure doesn't work then I will need to haul it in the back of my truck which has a pretty large covered bed. In either case I want to protect the egg from the elements, bumps and shocks, and road debris while in transit. Mini has an advantage here because it is smaller and should be easier to store.

WEIGHT: Not a big concern for us since we have over 3,000 lbs. of capacity for gear in our RV and vehicle.

COST: Moderate concern for us. We can afford either one but won't use it nearly as often as the Large egg at home so we don't want to invest too much. Especially if it breaks in transit or is stolen from an unattended campground.

HEAT: In some cases we might cook on the egg and then need to break camp and travel just a few hours later, but in most cases we would let the egg sit overnight before hitting the road again in the morning. I assume the Mini would have a slight advantage here since it could cool down much faster and might be easier to handle when still warm.

ACCESSORIES: I assume we will carry about the same amount of supplies for each egg (lump, wood chips, utensils, thermometers, etc.) but maybe the Mini would have a slight advantage since it would not have a plate setter and takes less lump.

I would appreciate some feedback from those of you with RV campers or those that have traveled with eggs for tailgates, eggfests, demos, competitions, etc.

FYI: Best price I have seen on a Mini was $175 brand new, $100 used. Best price on the Small was $347 brand new, $50 used. The used units were great deals but I passed on them because they were too far for me to drive and pickup. Still shoppping for a better deal on both.

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I just started a similar thread about Medium versus Small. Although our needs are very different, I will still check this thread for nuggets of advice.

Good luck. Sorry, I am not much help. You may also wish to check my thread in case there is some advice you can use.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I would say get the small. It is partable and easy to cook for 2. It is also big enough if you want to stick a butt on it and smoke while you are out.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Hey my bother, I recommend a small, we put it in the bed of my truck for (Titans) tailgating.

Enjoy,
    Walt
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Depending on the cover on your truck, the small might be too tall.

Both you would have to probably need to add lump on a small butt.

Cool down definitely faster on the mini. No platesetter though so that eliminates a lot of items potentially like fatties, pizza, low and slow cooks.

The small weighs 60lbs. Are you able to move it on your own repeatedly?

I would say the small but measure everything before you buy.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    neither. medium.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Rick: I've got a similar but different thread going also. (Mine was Medium versus Small to complement Large) Can the Medium handle a brisket? How about a typical size pizza or ribs?

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I have a mini, should have got the small. I can not do two steaks at the same time. OK we eat big ribeyes. More toys are available for the small vs the mini.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    click this

that's the first five months with my medium egg.
  • Cookn&Climbn
    Options
    sounds like you lost out on the $50 small, at that price I would have bought two or three and given them out as xmas presents.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    WileECoyote,

Most of the time it is my wife and I.

I love the mini and use it as much as any of the other eggs.

I use the small probably the least of the time. I don't use the medium all that much either.

If I went camping I wouldn't hesitate to take the mini but probably wouldn't take the small.

With the small I would have to deal with the nest, the egg and the accessories. The mini is a simple grab and go type thing.

The only thing I haven't cooked on the mini is butt or brisket. It is pretty easy to get 4 hours out of the mini.

As for mounting any egg on the camper bumper I would wonder about the potential 'bounce' back there. I would think the truck would be a better choice.

Just my 2¢

GG
  • skihorn
    Options
    Wow Rick! Very impressive!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We have a small for camping and the mini too :) but if we are going to have anyone with us we take the med. Our small has done a few camping trips and goes just fine in the transporter. space for us is not a problem even though our camper is just 10 feet long!
    Picture739Small.jpg
    You can see our transporter for the small on the tail gate of the truck. the mini just rides in the camper and the sm in the back of the truck. As you can see it is an old 71 Ranger and not the smoothest of rides but so far so good :)the eggs love to go camping!
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    I looked at both and chose a mini for camping ... plenty of room to cook for two ... much easier to handle by myself ... takes up less space ... have a pizza stone, jalapeno roaster, mini porcelain covered cast iron casserole with lid, and drip pan to fit ... it does everything the larger ones do, just in a smaller way ... i use it around the house for side dishes and for meat when it's just the wife and i here ... uses very little lump ... you can dump the coals out if it's hot and you want to move it
  • Get one of each - can't go wrong with that setup! :)
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Don't have a Small, yet. My Mini is a great grilling and roaster, less good for smoking temps. It's very fast to start and cool. Would be great for breakfast and then get on the road. If you want to smoke, get the Small, it can do that as well as roast and grill. Don't know about the Small's cool down time. The Mini is versatile, easy to set up (on dirt, a couple of bricks on picnic table, etc) and move. Like I said, don't have a Small, but I believe the Small takes you to a different and advanced level of cooking capability, but with the added weight and setup/takedown potential. Tough choice, would love to take both, but if just one, the Small.
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    Rick-

Where did you get this grate?

rack.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    i would opt for a small because it functions the same as a large, anything a large will do the small can do just in smaller proportions. i bring my large though in the back of the truck because i like the bigger egg better. with a small, i might also just pick up a hibachi, i like cooking over an open fire and its fine for burgers and dogs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Sam,

I have the same type of grates as shown in the picture. I can get them at Restaurant Depot, Dollar Store and or Wal Mart...