Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DQ2 Temp v. Dome Temp

Options
EggZona
EggZona Posts: 108
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally had the opportunity this last weekend to hook up and play with my new DQ2. I clippied the alligator pit temp to my BGE dome thermometer. There was a difference between the two read outs of about 25*

Comments?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Test them both in boiling water. One of them needs to be corrected. It probably is the BGE dome thermometer which will need adjustment...
  • EggZona
    Options
    Was going to mention in the post but forgot, I calibrated all my thermometers this weekend and adjusted. Including the BGE.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I would call Digi Q customer service...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    was the test done at ambient temp or cooking temp? which therm registered the higher temp?
    canuckland
  • EggZona
    Options
    It was done at cooking temp. I was only making deep dish pizza but I wanted to maintain the temp via the DQ2 setup. I was shooting for 375* BGE dome thermometer was reading 400* and the DQ2 was set on and reading 350* (Figured I would split the difference) I then jacked up the DQ2 to adjust to 375* and it did. Then the BGE read out 410*.

As I said I calibrated the BGE but maybe it is bad? Can I stick the Thermopen into the dome hole and compare that reading to the one that the BGE was putting out?

I guess the real question should be- Should the DQ2 Pit temp match the BGE Dome Thermometer when the Pit Probe is clipped directly to the Dome Thermometer? Seems logical that the answer would be YES. I guess I am just checking. If so, I have scientific testing to do.