Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib roast/bones tied back on or not????

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I narrow my search for a rib roast, (looks like I will go with choice grade local, $6.99 a lb.) I will buy with bone but any advice about the bone being cut off and tied back on or just an in-tack bone in roast???[p]As always, thanks in advance,
New Bob

Comments

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    New Bob,
    For Christmas dinner I cooked a 6 pound boneless prime rib. Kosher salt, ground pepper and granulated garlic. Seared on all sides at 600 degrees. Low and slow at 250 for about 30 minutes per pound (indirect, inverted plate setter, drip pan, Vrack on grill for easy carrying). pulled at 135 degrees. 20 minute set up. It came out perfectly! And it was my first one![p]Next time I will try bones tied back on. My dog looked like she got coal in her stocking this time around. :-)[p]When I researched the forum there were a lot of opinions, none of them wrong.

• Bordello
    Options
    Hi Kip,
    I'm glad your cook came out so well. I'm just trying to get as much valuable information from the fine cooks here as I can get. If I were cooking for myself it would not matter,but with company, I want Mr. Egg to shine. (Sometime I will post about my New Years Eve cook, two beer butt chickens on Willie's sitter's for 12 hours. LOL, I'm making chicken enchilada's tonight. HeeHeeHee)[p]New Bob

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    New Bob,
    Talk about pressure. I had the inlaws up. And my FIL came out with an Egg quote: "Best roast beef I've ever had!"[p]The Egg will do its thing and make you shine!

• Bordello
    Options
    Kip,
    If anything or anyone needs to shine, it's probably this poor old tarnished soul. LOL
    Cheers,
    New Bob
    Thanks,

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    New Bob,
    I just did a bone-in rib roast and I left the bones on. After the roast rested, I used my trusty B&D electric knife to quickly slice the bones off the roast. Bones go to the trusty hound, meat goes to us. With the electric knife it takes about 5 seconds. Then you have a boneless rib roast all ready to carve.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    New Bob,
    Cutting the meat off the bones is essential to initial browning of the meat (don't brown the cut side). Then tie the meat back onto the bones and cook at 250° until about 125° internal temp. Let rest for up to 30 minutes before carving. The bones protect the meat from overcooking.
    JimW

• Bordello
    Options
    JimW,
    I have more questions, would you please email me at:
    beecher.one@verizon.net[p]Thanks,
    New Bob