Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket ends don't meet

TulsaMurph
TulsaMurph Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My buddy just got a new egg and he noticed a leak at the back. When I took a look, the gasket does not meet end to end. There is at least a 1/2" gap on both top and bottom. He can get some gasket material and patch the leak, but is this normal? Does the gasket shrink? My egg's gasket was complete when I bought it and still is.

Comments

• Geo
    Geo Posts: 53
    Just patch the gap with some Egg felt and all will be fine. The felt does not shrink. The gasket was not applied properly.
  • The Nomex gasket on my XL shrunk. I ended up having to cut a piece of new gasket and installing it. It only shrunk about 1/8" but I was affraid of a leak so I patched it.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Tell your buddy that the next thing that will happen is that the gasket will fall off in short order. Call your dealer and get a replacement gasket.Test the gasket and see if it comes off easily,if it does replace it.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Not normal. He should contact his dealer - at a bare minimum he should get a replacement gasket. If he had noticed it before he cooked, I would think he would deserve a replacement Egg. I suspect his dealer will treat him well, but, if not, I'd suggest a call to the Mothership.
  • My medium, mini both arrived with apx. a 1/4" to 3/8" gap. Other than that the gasket on both has been installed properly. I had some extra gasket material and cut a patch and installed that. Works fine so far, however, I would strongly suggest the gap gets fixed.

I have found that if the gasket has been stretched when installing there will be some pull back. I try to somewhat compress when installing the new gasket.

I wouldn't think a dealer or HQ would replace an egg because there is a gap in the gasket, however, the gap should be fixed.

GG
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Dealer will give you the old type gasket if they still have them in stock (which most do). The mothership is sending out the new ones.

Go straight to the top. I wasted time going dealership first for the old type, installed it, watched it fail just like the original, then went to BGE HQ and got the proper replacement.

Only accept a replacement from the dealer if they have the new white nomex ones. (IMHO)
  • My top gasket fell off in the third hour that the BGE was ever used. I sent BGE an email asking why, as it was dealer installed. They were very prompt and said they would send me a new one as they have had some problems with them. They also said I could continue on until it gets here.

Well, some test seasonings weren't going too well as temps were going 275+ regardless of what I tried. So, I decided to glue to the old gasket back on. It was over an inch short when I did that. So, I patched it with a piece of a welding blanket. That, among other things allowed me to hold low temps for smoking as the lowest I could get to before that was 275.

Right now I'm doing a smoke and holding steady at 225.