Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Light from the Swag Bag

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't have a pic like the awesome one that RTD posted a couple of weeks ago but I did put the magnetic light on the handle of my SBGE last night when cooking a chicken. It worked great. Thanks for the idea Rick.
Not sure about the price/availability of the batteries or how long they will last but so far so good.

Comments

• I have found a flaw with these cool little lights or at least the one I have. It will not work in the cold. I don't know exactly what temperature it craps out at, but it's worthless to me. Most of my cooking from now until next March will be in the dark and cold; 45 degrees and colder. I put it in the fridge to double check what I thought the problem was and it would not come on. As soon as it warms back up, it works fine.
    Anybody else in the north notice this? Mark
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i noticed this but i will not have as big of a problem.. but a simple solution is to keep it in your pocket and deploy as needed ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Leave it indoors. Turn it on, then go outdoors. It may work. Maybe the gas is so inactive at colder temps it won't work, but if you have it turned on before you go into the cold it may help that problem.
  • Hi Terry. Go Steelers! I have the Maverick Grill Light with the clamp and flexible neck (like a snakelight) and it works fine in all temps so I'm good.
    Mark
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    that is ok mark that is why we have the northern lights!! :laugh:
    i just keep mine in the house and bring it out when i check on my cooks!
  • Actually LED lights work better in the cold, so it's either
    a) the batteries suck
    b) the light fixture just ain't that good
    or c) you got a dud.

I have one of these backordered so I hope the answer is "C".

I already have an LED light that took me thru last winter fine, so this is just extra anyhow. I think the suggestion to keep it in your pocket until you need it is a good remedy if that's all it takes.
  • The batteries are common watch/clock batteries available at Wally World/Target/drug stores. Battery types are LR44/SR44/AG13. Any one of the three will work. If you buy them ahead of time, they will keep longer in the refrigerator.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Keeping it in your pocket kinda defeats the purpose, IMO. Might as well us a small flashlight. I use a mini maglite (2-"AA"'s) and put it in my mouth sometimes if I need to use hands for tinkering.
    Hopefully the cold weather won't affect my magnetic one.
  • I put a call in to Outset, the manufacturer, to ask about this problem which they said they were unaware of. I am supposed to receive a call back within a few days. I will post their response after I hear from them. Mark
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Mine is a dud... can't get it to work. I'm going to buy new batteries and see if that works....