Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck question- 3rd eye? GG? others?

Options
East Bay Al
East Bay Al Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a of chuck roast a few weeks ago. Made into pot roast using Kents recipe- turned out fantastic. Picked up a couple more on sale- nice looking stuff, very lean, boneless. Tried the pot roast again and it was very disappointing. I had a dialog on it here and got some advice.
Today, I cooked its mate- grilled a couple of minutes per side, then on top of a DO full of beans, so the soaked beans were covered, but the chuck was half out in the smoke. Flipped it after an hour and it looked/ felt soft. Since the beans werent done, back in the egg for another hour. Checked it out and the beans are good- tender, soft, good flavor, smoke from the egg, but the chuck has shrunk down and is TOUGH. I just shredded it and added it back to the beans. It is off the egg and cooling now.

Any suggestions on (1) what to do with this pot now, and (2)how do you cook chuck on the egg?

Thanks
Al

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    in my opinion , lean chuck is always going to be
    tough[er] and drier than well marbled. since you bought them together i am not surprised..
    also, in my opinion, 2 hours is not enough.
    when i do chuck i keep it in the d/o after searing when it starts to separate along the fat lines with a fork i plan on at the very least an hour after that for it to be tender,,, i put d/o chuck on at noon or 1 for dinner. i do not add extras [cept onions] till it chunks or the taters turn to mush . my advice> do not by lean chuck. by fatty chuck and remove chuck at the chunk stage and skim the fat off. hope this helps
    did you check out clay q's recipe. that is where i started,, except for the maple syrup.
    good luck
    bill
  • Egg And I
    Options
    Chuck is a low-and-slow cut; braising is the best way for my taste. 250-300 dome (you want the DO liquid...50-50 wine (cab or merlot) and water works well ...to stay at a bare simmer, say 205-210 degrees.) Add a mirepoix (50% onion, 25% carrots, 25% celery, all coarsely chopped), S&P the meat to taste before you grill it, or better, sear it in the DO since you don't want to get the egg too hot. Cook until fork tender...that means you stick a fork in it and pull the fork out, it won't lift the meat. Around 200 internal. Takes about 2-1/2 to 3 hours for the collagen to convert. My guess is you cooked the second one too fast and pulled it too soon...what was the dome temp?

Edit...leave the lid ON the DO. And enough liquid to come about 1/2 way up the sides is plenty. If you do with lid off, you'll need to cover the meat completely, and keep topping off with water.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i leave the lid off and keep topping off with beef stock and or red wine . the reduced stock/wine adds flavor and lid off allows smoke flavor [if you want that]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Al,

Good question.....well, good timing anyway. I did some chuckies today myself. I'm thinking your "very lean" description may be the problem. You didn't say how big they were, but you want to cook bombers if you can. 3 pound minimum and up to 8 pounds ones are the way to go. (I buy the 20 pound chuck rolls and cut them myself).

DSC04415a.jpg

I usually flavor smoke them to 150° then do a foil (with liquid) or braise finish in a slow roaster or in the oven just because the results are so predictable. But today, I went back to an old school cook and did them like a brisket flat because I wanted a sliced product. Seasoned with only salt/pepper/cayenne I started them at 225°, then added Montreal seasoning on the first turn. After hour 2, I started using my salt water mop every hour. At about 5 hours, the internal was 175° so I went into a foil pan with a little beef broth, cider vinegar and wooster and continued to cook until the internal was 195. Then I rested them for 2-1/2 hours in a cooler.

DSC06337JPGa.jpg

DSC06343JPGaa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    I definitley cooked to hot/ quick, by your description. Where do I find ClayQs recipe?

Thanks for the rely/ help.
    al
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    Well, this was a pretty lean piece of meat. Should have know it was too good to be true- 3lb good looking meat at $2/ lb. I'll stick to the fattier cuts in the future. I do like the flavor, but the texture is not popular around the house.
    If you sear and cook in the DO, but cover, do you get any smoke flavor? Seems easier to do it on the cooktop in the house, out of the rain. Maybe I missed something.
    This piece kind of shrunk up a little and toughend up- should I have added some wine, put the lid on and kept simmering for another couple of hours? Would it have softend up and got like stew meat? Or at least better texture? Is that the secret- long, slow, wet cooking?

Thanks for the help on this.

Al
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    Those look great! Nothing like my little 3 pounder, which was a 2" flat slice of meat. Looked great, just from an aerobic beef- good muscle tone is how my wife put it.
    So- I started with a too small, too lean piece, then cooked it too fast.
    Tell me more about you "predictable" oven method- sounds like something I need, until I grasp the concept and feel of it a little better. And the salt water mop business.

Thanks for the reply and help. By the way- the 3rd hand gets used alot! Great tool.

Al
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The more predictable method is flavor smoking them until 150° internal, then braising until they are as tender as you want them. This way they get some color and flavor.... the pit time is maybe 90 minutes or 2 hours. For the braise, a foil pouch will work, but I get better results from a covered vessel of sorts. You can still do your braising on the Egg, but once something is covered or foiled, the oven works fine for me. When I make a big batch I use an 18 Quart Nesco roaster set at 275°

Here some pictures....

This one was braised in a Dutch oven, looks like there is a can of Rotel tomatoes and some broth in there.

DSC03414a.jpg

This one was just braised in some broth or maybe some beer and broth

DSC04350g.jpg

These were braised using my pepper beef recipe from my site. More liquid was used in the top picture.

IMG_0506c.jpg

DSC06143JPGa.jpg

The salt mop is just that:

10 ounces of water
    3T kosher salt
    1T cayenne
    A few shakes of Wooster
    Drizzle of olive oil

Heat the water, add ingredients making sure the salt is dissolved. The water is just the carrier for the other stuff. If you use it on a steak, mop some on 20 minutes before cooking, then use a little after the flip. On bigger whole muscle cuts, use when turning or a few times during the cook. A 10 ounce batch is for some serious cookin', this recipe is so simple you can make a half batch easily.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I haven't yet cooked a chuck roast on the BGE, and typically make my pot roasts using a pressure cooker inside. One tip that has improved my results is using a 48-blade meat tenderizer, something like this one:

deni-Meat-Tenderizer-48-Blade.jpg

They're available from about $15. Deni is just one brand. The one I use can be disassembled for dishwashering.

I cover the top and bottom of the roast with the tenderizer going vertically and then horizontally. It does seem to make a more tender cut, as the cooking liquid can penetrate the roast more easily.
  • Egg And I
    Options
    This isn't exactly pot roast, but it's pretty darn good:

ClayQ's Pulled Beef BBQ

Chuck is one of the most flavorful cuts, but it's tough...it's the shoulder muscle just like pork butt or picnic, so gets a lot of work, and needs low-n-slow cooking until the collagen converts and the meat is very tender. The exception, tenderized by grinding: Chuck makes great hamburger. Just get the fattiest cut you can find for this one (and good marbling won't exactly hurt any other time.)