Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter needed for baking stone?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question: Is a plate setter needed when using a baking stone, or can I simply place a baking stone directly on the rack/grill when cooking? Also, do any of you use a plate setter when smoking food (ribs, for example), or do you simply place the food directly on the rack itself?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a plate setter. Thanks.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    You need one and a pizza stone. You can bake with both. Plate Setter is for indirect cooks like ribs, brisket and butts. That is the short list why.

Mike
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    I think you will want and use a plate setter alot. It can be used with or w/o the stone. It is great to put legs up, a drip pan on the plate setter, the grid on the legs and the food on the grid. This works well for ribs, roasts, etc where you want indirect.
    For pizza, the platesetter legs down and stone on top brings you up flush with the edge of the Egg, so the pizza peel will work.
    I questioned all the accessories initially, but the place setter actually gets used more than the stone.

hope this helps.
    Al
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    If there is one 'must-have', it is a plate setter, the most versatile accessory made, it will show up in countless cooks, absolutely pick one up
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    ....what Zippy said!
    Other Eggcessories you can do without or find antoher method, but the PS is invaluble.

Ron
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    ive never owned a platesetter, if it were me i would buy 2 pizza stones and adjustable rig, and a spider and be done with it. you can cook everything with that settup, it offers many advantages.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it