Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs this coming weekend

Options
ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife is going to a scrappbooking weekend in New York with her girlfriends next weekend. I decided after having my Large Egg since June and never cooking ribs, it was time to give it a try.

I plan to do some baby backs for three to four buddies, and I've read lots of posts here about cooking methods.

My question, if you were cooking several racks of baby backs for the first time, how would you cook them? Thanks everyone! Erik

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    If it were me, I'd do half with JH Pecan Rub and Half with DP Swamp Venom. Pre-prep with a light coating of mustard (I use F&W Sweet, Smokey Mustard) after removing the membrane. Then I would smoke at 250 dome, with Hickory and Apple chunks until they are done...no foiling. BBs normally take about 6 hours this way. Spray with Apple Juice about every hour.

Why? My wife and daughter love the sweet crust that the JH Pecan rub offers, and my son and I like some heat on ours, thus the Swamp Venom.

Done for me = picking a rack up about halfway under the rack with a pair of tongs and the rack folds at nearly a 90 degree angle without falling apart. Good luck.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    ewille:

Everyone has their favorite combo for a rub, sauce and smoke. For me its Dinosaur and hickory. If this is your absolute first try KC Masterpiece and Hickory is a good start and easily available. Since your doing three try a few combinations. Blues Hog and Sweet Baby Rays are popular.
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    Ribs take practice to find what works best for you. You can cook them exactly the same way twice and they will still come out different. I would learn how to cook them without foiling before attempting foiled. Then you can learn different combinations of cooking them and figure out what you like best. I would go with Austin Smokers advice for a first time cook....225-250 indirect until they fold like said....just keep an eye on them towards the end...

Make sure you take the membrane off....very important.

Here were the last ones I cooked...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=514400&catid=1#

Good luck!
  • ewillie
    Options
    Thanks Brad, I have both of those rubs, I even considered some JH Raspberry Chipolte on one rack.
  • ewillie
    Options
    Those look great, thanks.
  • ewillie
    Options
    Thanks Brad, I have both of those rubs, I even considered some JH Raspberry Chipolte on one rack.