Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grandpa Grubs

Options
newegg
newegg Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry you weren't at EGGtoberfest. I sent you a note before to say Thank you. Did you get it. I told you then that my husband bought me a Gnome for my birthday. He is adorable. I named him Grandpa Grubs in honor of you. Thanks for all of your help and advise. The forum is wonderful and everyone is so helpful. We so enjoyed meeting such a wonderful group of people at EGGtoberfest. :laugh:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Your welcome. The forum has been and is a great source of information and help for me.

Hope you got your bands on and are up and cooking on the large.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Just read the other post.

Personally I think that video you watched is the wrong advice. I tried following the advice there and it was a real pain in the rear end.

I would not loosen the 8 smaller hinge bolts before tightening the band bolts. It caused me a lot of problems. I ended up taking off the band and putting the entire band on a flat surface. Tightened up the 8 smaller hinge bolts. Then putting on the lower band, followed by the upper band. I described what I did on the last post.

If in fact the square hole in the band is now round or if the square end on the carriage bolt (band bolt) has rounded off you can do one of two things (other than replacing the band itself).

If the carriage bolt square has been rounded --> get a new carriage bolt.

If the square hole in the band has been rounded --> go to home depot, lowes or your local hardware store and buy a machine bold. Use two wrenches to tighten up the band. The link below will show you the difference in a carriage bolt and a machine bolt. You should get a galvanized bolt to help present rusting.

You should not have to be fighting this.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/bolts.htm

Good luck.

Kent
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    Options
    Showed your advice to the Rocket and he said that this is going to help. It is so nice of you to go to this much effort on your part. Thanks bunches. Rosie :cheer: