Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Diameter of raised grid for large?

ChrisChris Posts: 117
edited 8:00AM in EggHead Forum
I am going to make a home made raised grid for my large using the info on the Naked WHiz site. Question is, which size Weber grid should I buy? There is one I saw with handles on the grid...should I get that one?
·

Comments

• DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    The standard size grate works fine just follow the Whiz directions.If you want to really move it higher in the dome put plate setter in legs up then the standard grate on top of the legs then use a 13 1/2 inch Weber grate with 4 inch bolts attached to really get it up in the dome.

spatchcockchicken061.jpg
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    OldDave1.jpg

The handles are well.....handy. As you can see, The Old Dave Contraption can be loaded in the kitchen and carried to the cooker. It can also be removed quickly, with welding gloves of course :laugh:
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • Old SaltOld Salt Posts: 357
    I use a 15" grate raised up on beer cans which brings it up deep into the dome. Since I have an old clay egg my fire ring is 6" and the space between the grate and seal is 3". I believe the BGE space is just 4".
    ·