Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Diameter of raised grid for large?

ChrisChris Posts: 117
edited 8:12AM in EggHead Forum
I am going to make a home made raised grid for my large using the info on the Naked WHiz site. Question is, which size Weber grid should I buy? There is one I saw with handles on the grid...should I get that one?

• DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    The standard size grate works fine just follow the Whiz directions.If you want to really move it higher in the dome put plate setter in legs up then the standard grate on top of the legs then use a 13 1/2 inch Weber grate with 4 inch bolts attached to really get it up in the dome.

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428

The handles are well.....handy. As you can see, The Old Dave Contraption can be loaded in the kitchen and carried to the cooker. It can also be removed quickly, with welding gloves of course :laugh:
    Happy Trails

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Old SaltOld Salt Posts: 357
    I use a 15" grate raised up on beer cans which brings it up deep into the dome. Since I have an old clay egg my fire ring is 6" and the space between the grate and seal is 3". I believe the BGE space is just 4".