Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When DON'T You Use A Cast Iron Grate?

Craig
Craig Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just reading the thread about the cast iron grate. Many people recommended it,and said they use theirs most of the time (instead of porcelain). For those who own the cast iron grate, when don't you use it and why? I'm just curious because I was thinking of getting one. If it turns out that the things you don't use it for, are the things I do most, then I won't bother.
Thanks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    well i have not used mine to much because i have the adjustable rig in.. and i don't think the grate will fit in there.... well forget that theroy i just went out and tried it and it does fit... so i will be useing it more..

the cast iron grate is really good for searing steaks and making pretty lines on everything..but if say your wife is giving you "one" thing i would not make it a cast iron grate... i would make it a thermapen or a adjustable rig.. then if you get the adjustable rig you will want to buy a smaller CI grate to go on to the spider... that is my regret is i did not think ahead far enough to see buying a smaller CI grate would have been better for me.....

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I do not have the adjustable rig. I use the cast iron for everything. It fits on top of the plate setter for my indirect cooks and it sears steaks and chicken well. The surface is also nice and flat so my vertical chicken roasters and vertical rib racks sit very stable. The only down side is that it is heavy.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I use mine only when I'm searing. For lo and slows, and indirect roasting, I use the porcelain. Mostly because of weight, and I bout the grid lifter from my dealer when I bought my eggs. If I had the "thirdhand" grid lifter tool, I'd use the cast iron grid much more often. It's on my wishlist.

fc
  • I still don't use my CI on fish...either the original grate or one ofthe stainless ones from tjv. Fish just tends to stick to CI too much.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    thirdeye has a grid lifter that works on the cast iron!

his web site is http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

you'll have to scroll down a little to see a rendering of it.

I got mine a few months ago and I'll KILL the first person that even thinks of messing with it.

I threw out my porcelain grate because it was old and starting to flake. Chewing on a hunk o porcelain with your chicken ain't so good. I use mine all the time for everything.

There are two surfaces on the CI grill learn more by getting one. Good luck.
  • i only use the porcelain if i need 2 grids at once.
    i got ~thirdeye's~ lifter when they were first available. it is a must have if you have cast iron. works perfectly.
  • I know most everyone sweares by the cast iron grate. I use mine once in a while.

I have the thirdhand and for me the thirdhand is a must. CI grate or not. The thirdhand is well worth the price.

I got the thirdhand before getting my CI grate. I will probably end up getting the other version from thirdeye which has shorter bottom lift arms. I think that would be easier with the CI grate.

Back to the CI grate. It puts wonderful sear marks on the meat. I think I would spend the money on other accessories.

Thermopen or Adjustable Rig & Spider. I use the Adjustable Rig and or Spider on every single cook.

My 2¢.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Kent,

The ThreeFinger is really designed for the medium & small CI grates. For the large CI grates, the longer handle on the ThirdHand is really the ticket because of the extra weight you are dealing with.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    Steaks indirect with a plate setter? You must not be from Texas! B)

JK, but really....the CI grate works very well on most everything. However, I would have to agree with Austin that fish is not a good thing to use the CI for due to it's brittle nature.