Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue Butt

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is Blues Hog work on a butt? I know it is popular on ribs, but anyone slap it on a butt a hour or two before you pull it off? I am about to put two butts on in a few minutes and didn't know if I should consider doing this. Any ideas are appreciated.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Barrett,you know that I'm no eggspert :) But,I have never added sauce to a butt(until I pull it)Just some rub,and let it go :woohoo: If you try it,let me know what you think ;)
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks Doug, I will probably put it on at least one of the butts. I will let you know how it turns out. The smokehouse looks to be coming along nicely.

Happy Halloween!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Thanks Barrett,if you need any more tax advice,just let me know :whistle::lol:;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would not put it on an hour or two before you pull it off. It may (likely will) burn in that amount of time and ruin the bark.

IMO Blues Hog is too sweet for pulled pork. That is all strictly personal preference, but I definitely think cooking it on the butt for that amount of time will not work in your favor.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks Rod, that is the kind of input I was looking for. I had no idea if it was something people used on a butt. I have two jars in the pantry and looking for an excuse to put them to use. Appreciate the advice.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I may be in the minority, but I use a different sauce for many different cuts. I prefer a little vinegary or mustard sauce on pulled pork. One of my favorites is 50:50 vinegar and Frank's Red Hot with some black pepper and a couple dashes of Kitchen Bouquet - an old family recipe of my outlaws.

I probably have 8-9 different types of sauce open and in the fridge at any time.
  • CRF450808
    Options
    Howdy fellas.. I'm just down here in Marietta and wondering what this Blue Butt is.. A bbq sauce? I'm firing up two 3.7# butts around 5am for the GA game..

No sauce for them tho, but i did rub em in apple butter prior to the spice, and give em an injection of plum & wochester/ apple cider.... ooooooeeeeeee

But hey, I'm all about some sweet sauce to balance out a spicy rub..
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I love vinegar base bbq sauces, but like I said, I am lookin for an excuse to use the blues hog. I have still yet to try any.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Blues Hog is a honey/sugar based sauce that is popular on ribs. I was just wonderingif anyone here put it on their butts. Yours sounds like it should be good tho. Take some pics and let everyone see how it turns out. Welcome to the forum.
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    Been a lot of talk about this sauce on the forum lately. I ordered some online.

http://www.blueshog.com/