Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE Question

KingSmono
KingSmono Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm seriously thinking about adding a Small BGE to compliment my Large BGE, for when I'm just cooking for the wife and I... and I figure it's small enough that I can bring it along on camping trips. This might be a silly question, but can the Small hold enough lump to bring it up to a TRex steak-searing 750 degrees? Are there any downsides to a small that I should be aware of?

And if anybody owns a DigiQ II with 10 cfm fan, will the 10 cfm fan be too big for the Small? (I assume I can just close up the damper on the fan, and I'll be good to go...)

Thanks!! :woohoo:

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yes on both accounts. You can get it as hot as any other egg, and the fan will work fine if you throttle it back using the damper.

The mini does this with relative ease:

MiniJammin.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yes to what Fidel said....I cook on our small alot for just the wife and I. I can cook anything on my small that I can on the large, but just not as much of it.

When we went camping this summer there were 8 of us and I cooked at least one meal every day for a week, including pizzas....
  • We have an XL and later bought a small for the same reasons. Real easy to move around with a simple to build transporter.

101_2902800x600.jpg

IMG_1517800x600.jpg

IMG_1513800x600.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    KingSmono,

The 10 CFM fan has a sliding damper in the output barrel. You can reduce the airflow by adjusting it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    I have both mini and small ,I would buy a mini do 80%
    of cooks with mini
    Dave
    100_0364.jpg
  • I went to the Mothership and looked at the small and the mini for camping. I decided on the mini for several reasons. I can lift and carry the mini by myself with very little effort, but the small would be much more difficult (I think I would need help with the small). I have found several accessories to fit the mini (8 1/2" pizza stone, one dozen ABT roasting rack, miniature porcelin covered cast iron pots with lids, and a non-glazed quarry tile which works good as a heat deflector) which make it very versatile.

David
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Dave,
    I beg to differ.The small has more accessories available like a platesetter and cast iron grid which makes it more versitle than the mini. The mini can cook direct only
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    You have to be creative with the Mini. I bought an 8 inch piece of stone tile, a couple of 9 inch steel straps to set it on and it works great for a plate setter. Then I raised the grate up and cooked four boneless breasts. Worked great. The only thing I wish was available is a cast iron grate. I use my Mini most of the time as well. The only thing I regret about the Mini is I don't use my large as much as I want to. Although it does give me an excuse to cook ribs and brisket on the Large.
  • I bought a small for the same reasons. I have not taken it camping and at times it can be to small even when cooking for two. I wished I had gone with the medium.
  • KingSmono
    Awesome, thanks guys!
  • KingSmono
    Haha, that's pretty slick!
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    I love the small. Bought it mainly for sides as the large takes care of the hunk-o-meat but also use it for just a couple of steaks, burgers etc.

As far as TRexing on the small - good luck with that. I have only had my small for about four years and in that time I think I got the temp over 600 once and I believe that was only because of the cheap lump I had in there.

So if you HAVE to have high temps, the small is not the egg for you - for everything else it is great.
  • KingSmono
    Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm pretty sure I want the Small instead of Mini or Medium... I compared them all pretty closely at the Mothership while during Eggtoberfest 2008, and I think the Small will be the perfect compliment for my Large... If the Small is too small, I'll just simply use the Large! If I don't need to use the Large, I'll just use the Small... and if I want to go tailgating, or camping, it might be a little tough, but bringing the Small is definitely not impossible. I think I just talked myself into buying one... :blush::sick: :blink: :laugh:

bge_family.jpg
  • KingSmono
    Really?? Hmm, that's a little discouraging... I just hate TRexing on the large, for only 2 steaks, because of the amount of lump it uses.
  • Very good choice.

I have a large and a small and really enjoy both.

Also, the small is a very good portable grill, especially if you use the transporter.

trans.jpg

http://www.wessb.com/Tips/smtransport/small_transporter.htm

I built it in about 30 minutes and it is really handy when moving your small. Just remember to move it from underneath.

Greg
  • KingSmono
    Awesome, thanks for the link!! B)
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    I agree with you.

But the nice thing about the small is that it will share fire with the large...

DSC_0025.jpg
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    if the small does not fit exactly then you can always buy the mini later. :)
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    The small is portable, but you are not going to be moving around like its a smokey joe. I really like the small. it is just about perfect for us. We have 2 of them and don't see the need for anything bigger.