Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham for Pulled Pork ?

Options
BierMugg
BierMugg Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stupid Question. Can I use a Fresh Ham Butt For Pulled Pork ? Is Ham from the back legs of the pig ? and a leaner cut ? A local market has them on sale for .79 cents a pound.[p]Thanks and have a Happy and Healthy New Year !![p]George

Comments

• David B.
    Options
    BierMugg,[p]I believe what you are seeing is the lower part of the shoulder, the upper part being the "butt". I can find hams a lot easier than butts, and usually cheaper, so I use them for pulled pork almost as often as butts. They taste a little (surprise) "hammier" after being smoked, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, just different.[p]David B.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    BierMugg,[p]You certainly can use the ham for pulled pork. IMHO, it produces a slightly different product than the shoulder and it is much leaner. I do them every now and then as a change of pace. Let us know how you like it.[p]Happy New Year,
    Jim

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    David B.,[p]The ham is from the rear of ye ol' porker. The shoulder, which yields the butt and picnic cuts, is from the front of Mr. Piggy.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim