Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Info needed asap!

Options
brklynbbq
brklynbbq Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked some amazing spare ribs a while back and I am attempting to recreate, but more this time. SO much more there is essentially a pile of meat on my medium egg. I am worried that the smoke isn't going to penetrate the pile, and the cooking time is going to be waaaay longer. Is that true? should I shuffle them part way through cooking?

They are on right now, and I am torn whether to let them be, or shuffle.

thanks
a

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    How have you got them arranged? Are they in a rack? They're not really "piled" are they? You need circulation between the slabs.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you don't have a rack you can set them all on end and use a couple skewers to hold them up and apart.

Otherwise, stack them and rotate the stack every hour or so. Just remember, every time you open the lid you let valuable heat escape and lengthen the cook - and your temps may spike afterward due to the inflow of extra O2.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What he said with a pic. These are two baby back racks halved, skewered, and on a small.

101_2703800x600.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you can't get them propped up, yeah, you will want flip them around. They will also cook much slower because they are blocking air flow. As the meat cooks down, and air flow improves, they'll speed up some.

On my mediums, 5-6 pounds of spares take about 5 hours min. If I cram in 12 (my max so far) the time goes up closer to 7 hrs.
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I'm guessing it's too late to answer, but I have a medium and I usually load the rib rack, then place one slab on top and then one of each of the 4 sides of the rack. The only ones that I may rotate are the ones along the sides... sometimes there's a "hot spot" that may cook them faster than the others.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoke doesn't penetrate. at all. if it's not exposed to the smoke, it won't taste like smoke.

open them up if you can (spread em out), or rotate if you need to. you might not have a smoke ring on all the meat if you can only rotate what is exposed, but in the end it'll all get smoked.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • brklynbbq
    Options
    Thanks, It all helped. I ended up making a meat pyramid with a lot of skewers and then tossed on another chunk of applewood. They were pretty huge spare ribs so it was tricky. They are still on, but I'll let you all know if they were as good as the last round.