Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just found out I have to cook for 150

Options
rabeb25
rabeb25 Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my mom is having a big 50th birthday bash and asked if I would supply pulled pork for it. I think I came up with needing about 75lbs of raw butt (right????)..

So I have a large and a small egg... could I do it all in one cook...using both of them of course???

Thanks

Bryan

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    2 larges would be best if you want to do it all at one time. You could do it over 2 cooks. Pull the pork, vac seal it and reheat the next day with your large.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i cooked about 33 lbs of pork but (five smaller ones) on my large a couple weeks ago. it took from eight in the morning until about three sunday morning for them all to come to the proper temp (all at different times) and i had to put three down and then i put my mini grid on top of those three and put two more down.

i'd say you have two cooks in store.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I don't see you physically getting 75# cooked at one time on a large and small..and personally..I wouldn't want to have to deal with pulling 75# at one time.....40 and 40 might prove to be a little less trying....
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    Time for a BDS.
  • Wyldwood
    Options
    I've done about 90 lbs. each for 2 separate events. I cooked in multiple cooks using just one egg. I did around 20 lbs at a time. I reheated it in large foil covered disposable pans with some "Coke" and sauce. This can be done an oven at the time of the event. I have also reheated the pork in pans on a large pit BBQ at a fairgrounds. Are you planning on some commercially prepared sides? Saves a lot of time and work if you buy them at a local Costco or store like that.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I cook 1lb per person due to some shrinkage and due to the weight of the bone. If you cooked about 35lbs at a time you could do it in 4 cooks. You may be able to jam 50lbs in a large but I have never tried that much at one time.
  • Wyldwood
    Options
    I figure to loose about 30% due to fat loss and the bone.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Maybe. If you make a two level setup I'm thinking 6 butts maybe 7 in the large, 3 lower level and 3 possible for on the upper level. At 9 lbs each butt your looking at 54 to 63 pounds on the large.

That might be enough for you party. If you get larger butts you could get six approximately 20lb packs from Sams and have a good 60 lbs of meat. I've never tried it but I bet you could squeeze them in a two level setup. With bigger butts like these I'd do 2 on the bottom level 3 on the second with the last but stacked on the center of the 3.....if that makes sense.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Great suggestion, Crimsongator!! My neighbor has one of those "sucker machines" and always offers it to me to use. Another advantage is you can heat them up as you need them and freeze any unopened bags for future use. Truly a man who thinks outside the box.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Never been accused of thinking outside the box before. By the way....what IS "the box"
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    It's the refrigerator isn't it, Cg?