Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey day thoughts

Options
Tripmaker
Tripmaker Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With T-day fast approaching I have been thinking about roasting my bird in the BGE. This will be my first turkey in the BGE. My question is this. Don't take this the wrong way but, do you guys stuff your bird? The BGE turkey recipes I've seen don't talk about stuffing. I know the stuffing can be cooked separately but it tastes better roasted in the turkey. I also want to get some smoke taste into the meat so I plant to start with a temp of 250 or so for the first hour or two with some wood chunks, then kick up the temp to 350 - 375. does this sound like it will work out?

Jim

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If you are going to use smoke I wouldn't stuff the bird, stuffing absorbs too much smoke flavor. -RP
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    here is everything you need to know about roasting a turkey in the bge. ..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

as far as smoke. ..a turkey will absorb a lot of smoke. ..you don't need to start it low and slo to get smoke flavor. .. roasting it at 325 - 350 with a couple of chunks of apple, pecan or cherry will give you a nice smoke flavor with out over smoking it. . .remember, think about the others at your table. .. they may not like it as smokey as you. ...

as far as stuffing in your bird. . .i don't like stuffing in my egged turkey for two reasons. ..one, i like to put a lot of aeromatics in bird to add to the taste of the meat and 2, wet bread REALLY absorbs a lot of smoke taste .. ..you should try and small pan of bread stuffing in your egg in advance of thanksgiving and see how you like it prior to the big day. ... one year i made a pan of stuffing in a clean burning egg, and it was still to smokey tasting even for my tastes. .. it was way to smokey tasting for my family ....so try it out first.. .

just my two kopeks worth. . .
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    I have been cooking my Turkey on my Weber Grill for 10 years now. I cook it at 300-350 over a combination of briquets and lump Mesquite. They are delicious and people keep coming back every year as they love it.

We make the stuffing in a pan in the oven. I stuff the bird with apples and celery. High moisture content items.

I have just recently purchased my egg and I did a test Turkey cook 2 weeks ago using BGE lump mixed with Mesquite lump and it was delicious!

If you are hesitant to cook for guests, do a test cook. Mine was a 7# breast with ribs. Took a little over 2 hours. I lost track of it and pulled it late at 190-195 and it was still moist and delicious!

Maybe it is just an AZ thing? I love to cook everything over Mesquite!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thats great that you and your guests like the mesquite. . .i would advise folks to try that out first before serving it on t-day as it is a strong and aquired taste. .. my wife would probably kill me if i did that. ..LOL . .

if you liked the moisture you achieved in your weber though, you will love how it comes out in your egg!!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Never done a T-Bird on my BGE, but have done lots of 'em in the oven! I stuff the cavity with a combo of vegetables and lemon chunks, apply some rub and implant an herb-infused butter under the skin On the side, I prepare an oyster & pecan stuffing (to die for) and bake it while the turkey is finishing. Once you try this you'll never go back to stuffing a bird again! Happy Turkey!!
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I didn't know stuffing absorbed the smoke so readily, I learn something new every day. Guess that is why I have not seen any recipes that call for stuffing. Last year I smoked a turkey (no stuffing) in my Brinkman using only hardwood. Most liked it, some preferred an oven roast, we had both. Served with a rasberry chipotle sauce I thought it tasted good. This year I'll go with a little apple wood in the BGE and leave the stuffing out. Sounds like the mad max recipe and temperature recomendation is the way to go. Thanks again for the help.

Jim