Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

xerT Rib eye?

Options
Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 1.5" rib eye that I plan to reverse sear. I'm looking for medium rare, so I'll be shooting for 125° or 130° internal for the sear. The 400° dome initial phase is where I have my question. Am I looking for a specific internal temperature here, or just timing? If timing, 6 minutes per side?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Temp, Temp, Temp!!!! after hitting your temp for the roast (mine is about 110) open the dome and let the flames rip. Usually about 2 min a side to 125/130 then rest for med rare. 130 is usually better for the wife who likes med a bit more than rare.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I start my reverse sear at a much lower temp (like 250-275) to 110 internal and then sear it.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Thanks Bob,

I was cooking some squash, so I went around 340° dome for the first part of the cook. Flipped the rib eye once and pulled and wrapped in foil @ 110° int. Opened her wide and seared to 127° int (flipping once). 'Twas perfect! The squash was great too.