Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

xerT Rib eye?

StanleyStanley Posts: 623
edited 7:39AM in EggHead Forum
I have a 1.5" rib eye that I plan to reverse sear. I'm looking for medium rare, so I'll be shooting for 125° or 130° internal for the sear. The 400° dome initial phase is where I have my question. Am I looking for a specific internal temperature here, or just timing? If timing, 6 minutes per side?

Comments

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Temp, Temp, Temp!!!! after hitting your temp for the roast (mine is about 110) open the dome and let the flames rip. Usually about 2 min a side to 125/130 then rest for med rare. 130 is usually better for the wife who likes med a bit more than rare.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    I start my reverse sear at a much lower temp (like 250-275) to 110 internal and then sear it.
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    Thanks Bob,

I was cooking some squash, so I went around 340° dome for the first part of the cook. Flipped the rib eye once and pulled and wrapped in foil @ 110° int. Opened her wide and seared to 127° int (flipping once). 'Twas perfect! The squash was great too.