Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do for replacement gasket

johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen lots of discussions on replacement gaskets. The nakedwhiz has directions on a kit (to order form someone here i think) that ends up just being a gasket on the bottom that is as thick as the usual egg gasket that is on top and bottom.

Its all a bit too much. I had a platesetter in my large feet side down in my egg after a brisket to burn off the fat on the plate setter and it nuked my gasket.
So what to do? top and bottom gasket? gasket just on the bottom?

is it normal for the gasket to go like that when the plate setter is setup in pizza mode on a large bge? I wanted to start getting into pizzas, but if a 750* egg in the pizza setup blows a gasket i'm not sure i want to.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    two things, if the current gasket does not leak, no sense changing it. Mine is about 3 years old and missing, but no major leaks that causes time and temp problems. Otherwise replace both top and bottom gaskets, you can use the regular gasket from BGE, do a clean job and your fine
  • johann
    well my gasket is only charred remnants. I'm not sure if the egg is leaking but I'd kinda like to have some kind of gasket there as its a large and ceremic to ceremic seems like a bad idea.

so there is no pro's con's going with the single side thicker gasket kit?
  • If you do change it I would suggest you go with the Nomex which you will have to get from BGE in Atlanta.They will get it to you pretty quick.I did mine about 6 montgs ago and am very happy with it.
    Good luck
    Jim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Low tech redneck is correct IMO.

There are several other solutions folks use.

To remove your old gasket use a propane or MAPP torch and a stiff putty knife. One could also heat up the egg with lump, however, then you are working with hot/warm ceramics.

Work in small distances at a time. The gasket & adhesive will come off quick.

Most folks recommend as does BGE to use 3M super 77 adhesive, make sure you mask the egg when spraying.

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Skip it. My gasket's been gone for more than a year and I haven't missed it a bit.
  • johann
    fortunatly I noticed that it had started to burn up and had heard of people getting the lids stuck when the gasket melted, so I just used a scraper I had and scraped most of the left over gasket off. So yah i did deal with warm/hot ceremic, and may have singed my hand a bit, and prolly got stuff in the left over lump I shouldn't have. but hey i'm new to the egg and kinda freaked that the gasket was melting before my eyes.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Mine is the same. I do all sorts of cooks. No real problems. I do have the gaskets, enough for two sets, just never git around to it.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    If it is completely nuked, you may see some issues when doing low & slows, especially on windy days, it could effect the temp by letting in/out air that you want to keep in/out. If you decide to replace it, I would go with the Nomex, it does seem to hold up better under stress of high heat. I have seen the single gasket on the bottom of someone's mini (it looked like a strand of fireplace rope glued onto the bottom), it appeared to work great, as long as the single gasket is the same general thickness of the 2 piece, it does make sense that it would work just as well
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Ditto what LTR and GG said.