Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firestarters ????

rambeaux
rambeaux Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting low on my initial boxes of fire starters. I would like to go ahead and buy these in bulk, or at least in larger quantities than 24 /box so I won't have to worry about this for awhile. Are these available anywhere in larger quantities and at a reasonable price or am I stuck with just buying multiple boxes?

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    At the end of my latest purchase of weber firestarters (I had 5 or 6 boxes of 24 at one point), I started using paper towels dunked in veg oil, it works great & it is about free (I used re-claimed oil that I deep fried stuff in, strain it, then keep in a container for dunking the folded up paper towels in) - it is an endless supply for the cost of a single paper towel per fire, beautious :)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    but then again if you are not interested in this, you can get Weber Cubes at Ace Hardware or online at weber.com in any quantity you want
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    some people will buy a big fire starter log and just cut a chunck off as they need it. I think these are pretty cheap, 3-4 bucks, and basically made of the same stuff. Have you tried a propane or mapp torch. the initial investment is a little more expensive but it will last a long time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Ace hardware sells the "Rutland" brand, which appear to be identical to BGE's.

Like some others, I chose to buy a weed burner (available at many stores for approx $20-$25). Not only is it fun, but you can use the leftover propane in your gas grill tank.
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    My local dealer sells a box of 100 fire starters for about $30.00. This works for me. I tried the oil on paper towel trick and I wasn't successful with it.

I don't trust my self with the torch thingy! :laugh:
  • I've only been egging for a little over 2 years. I started with firestarter cubes, tried the starter log chunks and eventually wound up trying the paper towel and cooking oil method. I have permanently switched to the papertowel method because it's quick, easy, works well, it's cheap and I never run out. I was satisfied with the starters but I tried the paper towel thing when I ran out of starters and I haven't looked back!

In fact I even received the starters I had to order at the time and haven't touched them.

Just don't use canola oil, it doesn't burn well.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's how i started using the paper napkin method. forgot my starters up at the lake and remembered a post somebody where mentioned it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I now have a weed burner -- but before that I nearly always used oil-on-paper-towel.

No after taste... cheap as cheap can be...

~ Broc
  • Look for Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter Squares. A box of 144 cost me about $24 at Home Depot or Lowes.
  • weedburner with mapp gas its cheap(long term) and really quick start , just wear glasses