Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18.8 Lb. Prime Rib

Gloria
Gloria Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ya'll pardon my bragging, but I just had to tell about our delayed Christmas dinner.......In another thread, I listed the side dishes that we had with our standing rib roast today, so I won't bore you with that again; however, the husband picked up our meat yesterday from a local butcher, Black Angus beef. It looked like a whole side of a cow to me and I thought that it would be way to much for 11 people, but we only have enough leftovers for a light lunch! I brought it to room temperature and put absolutely nothing on it, no salt or pepper, NOTHING. It was seared at around 600 degrees and then cooked at 325 for two hours. It was nicely charred on the edges and when the bones were cut away, it was gorgeous. It could have been a bit more rare for some of the blood lovers in the family but we try to cook a bit more medium because of the children. It was fork tender and all agreed that it was the best piece of meat they had ever eaten. Thank the grill gods for inventing the EGG. We couldn't believe how our turkey turned out for Thanksgiving and now this......pure heaven.......we are blessed, ain't we? The next cook will be several turkey breasts for New Year's Day.

Comments

• Gloria, when I read your first post regarding this prime rib I assumed you made a typo. Wow! You are blessed!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Gloria,
    Hey! Long time on talk! And it ain't 'bragging'. We're all just envious you just did your roast. I did an 11.5 pound boneless prime rib and it was great. Did manage to take a nice steak off each end in the trimming process and that's in the freezer just waiting it's turn![p]Happy New Year!

• Gloria
    Shelby,
    Hi Mr. Shelby, My husband is just now cutting what was left into two pieces for our twin daughters. Lord, lord, it was so good we're still talking about it. No way it could have been that good cooked in or on anything else other than the egg. Dud says that he is going to do a bone-in pork loin for New Year's but that he is going to buy another of the Black Angus and have the butcher cut it into bone-in steaks and a couple of small rib roasts. How're things in Looseeanna?

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Gloria,
    Was that direct or indirect at 325¡?

• Gloria
    Steve-O,
    It was direct. Dud just laid it on the grill and turned it a couple of times.