Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it worth it to do chili on the BGE?

Options
Riley
Riley Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm entering a charity chili cookoff, and I have my recipe. I've never done chili on the Egg, but I was wondering if it would add much to do it this way.

For those who have done it both ways, is it that much different on the Egg? I don't want tooo much smoke flavor, but a little might be good. Maybe I could start it on the Egg, and finish on the stove?

If I do it on the Egg, how do I make sure I don't get too much smoke?

Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    if you want to limit the smoke, you can use the cover that came with the dutch oven, some smoke will still get in but it wont get as smokey
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I've never egged chili, but have the opinion it wont be worth the extra effort. Maybe cook the meats in a C.I. skillet on the egg?
    I'm a crock pot guy when it comes to sauces, etc.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Absolutely worth it.

You can put the lid on your pot if you are concerned about too much smoke.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cook chili, red beans & rice and soups in crockpots, BGE's and thestove. I like them all better on the BGE. I cook them in CIDO indirect on my Lg BGE whenever I can. Sometimes I will brown the meat on the stove but overall the major cooking time is on the BGE. I think it makes a big difference in the taste.

I let the smoke clear and get a good steady temp (usually 300-350) before I start cooking. I also preheat the CIDO...

just my 2 cents...
  • Riley
    Options
    I have hickory chunks, Jack Daniels oak chips, apple chips, and maple chips. Which should I use? Should I just use wood at the beginning, or at the end?

Thanks all.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Riley,

It adds a whole dimension of flavour. Chili was first cooked over fire if I'm not mistaken.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Sundown thinks soo... :whistle:
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Positively worth it! Instead of just browning you meat you can smoke it. I use a combination of chuck and sweet Italian sausage with pre smoked rib tail meat and smoke in a CI Lodge 7 qt DO for about an hour, then load in the rest of whatever you like for 2 hrs. Great flavor. Hell man, don't debate it, just do it. You won't regret it.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Definitely better on the egg. I use hickory chunks (2 or 3 good size chunks) when I'm browning the meat. It takes a lot of smoke to pick up that flavor when cooking in a D.O. so don't worry about getting too much smoke. I'll sometimes add even more when I'm doing the veggies in the recipe. See the post below several threads down for my recipe and method for "Cow Lickin' Chili".
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. Outside of lighting the egg it's no more trouble then doing it on the stove.

Now, having said that I don't consider lighting the egg as much trouble.

Regards,
    Bordello

Love using my D.O. in the Egg :laugh:
  • Bordello
    Options
    If you have enough time why not do a small batch and try it to see if you like it???

Most of us are saying yes to using the Egg but only your taste buds will satisfy you.

Best of luck to ya in the cook off. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Bordello
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I just did my first batch on the egg, and I don't think I would do any other way in the future. Like others said, you can control the smoke with the DO lid...and hey, who doensn't like to play with fire, right??

The "thing" in the middle is a bloated ancho chili...
    BuffaloPorterhouse002-1.jpg
    fc
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    If you don't like smoke, don't use smoking wood. The lump will give off just enough hint of smoke to enhance the flavor of the chili without it tasting smokey.

Here's some I cooked on Shirley Small (one of my girls) a few months back.

Chili2-5-06.jpg

Tastes better the second day.

Spring "Chili Flavored Chili" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Bordello
    Options
    Welcome to the club of D.O. egg lovers. :) :laugh: :silly: :ohmy:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Damn Chicken Man that looks good. Morning and nights are getting cool here so I may have to start making things to keep me warm. Hmmmmmmm, Old Bordello is talking about food. :) :laugh: :cheer: :evil:

Cheers Leroy,
    Bordello
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Egret, just searched and read your post on the Cow Lickin chili. Question, what size dutch oven did you use? 5 quart 7 quart?

Thanks.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    OK, I am convinced. But I thought it was bad to use tomato in cast iron?
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    I did chili on the EGG this past weekend and it came out great! Just before I added the last of the ingredients and it was about to simmer for an hour or so, I added some hickory chips. The smoke flavor was very subtle, but definitely there. I adds another dimension to chili, that you can't get on the stove.

I say go for it!
  • FrankC
    Options
    Bacchus,

Sundown was very generous, and shared his Real Man Chili recipe with me...as he said in his email to me:

"Final Note: Please don’t go messing with this by putting tomatoes or tomato products of any kind in it. If you prefer beans in your chili add them to the bowl when you serve your guests. I think beans alter the flavor if they are added to the chili during the cook. Enjoy."

So, no tomatoes!

fc
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    followed egret's advice. Mighty good.

chili2.jpg

GG
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I used to use a 5 qt. before I got the 7 qt. version and it got pretty full! 7 qt. is what you want for this recipe.....
  • Riley
    Options
    One more question while I have experts.

Should I do the chili the evening before, and let it roll in the crock pot overnight after Egging it?

Refrigerate it after Egging, and then Crock Pot it before serving?

Which is better?

Thanks!!!!!!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I personally just let mine simmer on the egg for 5-6 hours. Leftovers are either warmed in the crock pot or microwave.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Sorry Frank, It still looks like a frog doing the side stroke to me :whistle:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    If it's well seasoned then no problem. If it's lightly seasoned then you might lose it. Just a good excuse for another fire if you do. :whistle:
  • FrankC
    Options
    Mainegg wrote:
    Sorry Frank, It still looks like a frog doing the side stroke to me :whistle:

I swear...it's an Ancho!

fc
  • eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    Anything you can do on the egg will be better, if I could and if it didn't take so long, I would make my coffee in the morning on the egg.