Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just ordered my 1st BGE!

Options
Buckeye911
Buckeye911 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been competing on the Kansas City BBQ Society circuit for three years and all of my team mates are trying to tell me that I have made the wrong decision to buy a BGE. Can you believe how foolish they sound. What should I cook 1st to impress and change their mind?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    RIBS, Ribs, ribs!!!!!!!!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Buckeye911,[p]I have no competition experience, and I'm probably not even half as skilled in the art of BBQ as yourself or any of your teammates. The only outdoor cookers I own are a couple of BGEs as well as a couple of small Webers.[p]Because of those, there's probably not much in the way of good advice I can give you here. However, I can relate one nugget of advice which you can give to your teammates - the more toys, the better! If you can have only one cooker, do extensive research and pick the one you think best fits your needs. If you can have more than one, by all means, buy it buy it buy it![p]Yes, most of us are financially constrained to choose among a few, but maybe one answer you can give as to why you bought a BGE is simply because you now have another toy with which to play. It so happens that it's a very good cooker which can do both high heat grills as well as low and slow smokes.[p]Again, though, to me, having more toys with which you can play and otherwise productively occupy your time is, by itself, a good thing![p]Back to Saturday beers! Go JETS!!!
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Oh yeah, what to cook? Eek, I don't know since I know you can produce some mighty fine results on other cookers. Maybe some things which the Egg since to lend itself particularly well such as a super high heat steak or maybe a pizza or calzone or maybe some of the various baking items. If not, go with what you know and try ribs/butts/briskets/etc and then look at the conservation of charcoal/ease of temp control benefits of the Egg as reasons why it's a good toy to add to your arsenal.[p]Later, and go Jets,
    Cornfed

• Redpig
    Redpig Posts: 35
    Options
    Buckeye911,
    I'm with JSlot. Go with the ribs. I'm new with the BGE, however I've got alot of experience with steel smokers. Bsaed on this, IMHO, the BGE is simply better, hands down.

• MrCoffee
    Options
    Buckeye911,
    I am a relatively new BGE owner and new to BBQ in general but I would have to recommend a Boston Butt. 200° F internal temp. It is hard to go wrong and it really is impressive.
    I cooked NY Strip steaks and chicken breasts this afternoon for the wife, kids and grandkids. They all seemed to enjoy![p]Terry

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Buckeye911,
    Which KCBS category yielded your team's lowest scores? That's what I'd cook. I think you'll find the expertise you devoted to that category will shine through with an Egg.
    Use either one of your competition recipes, or browse the many excellent recipes here.
    Ken