Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ruined CI frying pan??

NCSU-QNCSU-Q Posts: 104
edited 10:34PM in EggHead Forum
My brother-in-law used my cast iron skillet to fry some chicken & set the hot skillet down on a towel that was made of some type of synthetic (maybe polyester??). The towel, of course, melted directly to the bottom of the skillet... any brilliant ideas on how to get it off. My concern is that if i heat it up, it will give off who-knows-what type of noxious fumes and I do not want it melting all over the inside of my BGE or my oven. Thoughts??

Comments

  • try cooling/ freezing the pan and see if any of it pops off or scrapes off with a putty knife if not just sand it clean
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Burn it off with a torch. -RP
  • kookkook Posts: 12
    campfire/chimanea
  • NCSU-QNCSU-Q Posts: 104
    I had the campfire thought, but I do not have much of a place to make one where i live. I'll give the freezing a try.
    I would like to avoid the torch from a fumes perspective, but I may have to resort to that.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    any fumes will go up and out.
    if you haven't been killed by the carbon monoxide yet, you won't die from the plastic fumes either.

    fire it up and let satan's minions do the work for you.... :evil:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NCSU-QNCSU-Q Posts: 104
    I'll lay out a piece of cardboard and hit it with my MAPP torch this evening. I was more worried about the gunk dripping down into my egg than I was the fumes coming out of the top... and then the gunk putting fumes into my future cooks. No way I am ruining my BGE for the sake of saving a CI pan!!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    well. fire purifies all. i'm just thinking a good fire will cure the pan and take care of any drips. anything that falls in is going into a raging fire.

    there shouldn't be anything left to impact a future cook.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I would have my brother-in-law burn it off. :evil:
  • NCSU-QNCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Not a bad idea, but I'm scared that he would melt something else to it in the process!! :woohoo:
  • I would first try scraping off as much as possible, then hit it with a wire brush, preferably a heavy duty one on a grinder. After getting as much as possible off I would do a hot Egg burn with a drip pan. At 700 to 800 degrees there probably won't be any serious noxious fumes to deal with during or after the burn.

    Or just replace it and give the bill to you know who.

    Spring "Always The Right Answer Except When I'm Partially Unright" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I hear ya, I have a brother-in-law too.
  • I refurb cast iron. Try using a wire brush in your drill. I do it that way and it takes anything off of the cast iron. Of course you'll have to re-season again.
  • egginatoregginator Posts: 568
    buy a weed burner to start your egg and burn it off with that.
  • NCSU-QNCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Kudos to "lower case bill" who suggested the exact opposite of most of our first instincts...FREEZE IT. It worked like a charm and i was able to chip most of it off pretty quickly. I will finish it off with a wire brush and a MAPP torch this evening. Crisis averted.
Sign In or Register to comment.