Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IT'S HERE . . .WE ARE COOKING ! ! !

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The large egg arrived this afternoon and ...well....the ribs are on! I followed the simple ribs and the baked potatoe slices in the cook book/manual and its maintaining 300 degrees better than my stove does!
I added a few Hickory chips...so its a smokin' well....
...film at 11 !![p]MW[p]

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MW, congratulations and welcome - the best thought that I can give you is that I hope you have as much fun with your egg as I have. Isn't this forum great!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ Site[/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    MW,
    Forget the film, what's wrong with the ribs at 8???[p]Dr. Chicken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MW, you and Dan Quail = "potatoe" - just kidding - I think your spelling is great - next time you do ribs (cooking time 3+ hours) throw on a few sweet potatoes (wrapped in foil with a pad of butter) per Tim M - GREAT!!!!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MW, watch em close! At 300 they can get to done and past real fast..If they be shrinking at the bone ends..give em a bone twist and ya might wrap em in foil at 2.5 hours and toss em in a ice chest wrapped in towels for about 45 minutes before eating (jj's method)...Good luck..
    C~W

• Teslamania
    Options
    MW,[p]If you like ribs on the BGE following the cookbook directions that came with the egg, you will love the rib recipes posted. You have to try low and slow ribs - they are less fatty than ribs at 300. My first meal was also ribs at 300. I haven't cooked them that way since that one time. Please, try the ribs as outlined in the recipe section!
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    MW,
    Welcome to the Egg-dom! Your life is changed forever. You will be recanting stories to those less fortunate egg-less individuals, and suddenly realize they are looking at you like you have three eyes. But that's good. Remember when you first heard about it? I do baby back ribs at 150 degrees for 6 hours, but only after marinating them is Balsamic vinager and some Prudhommes seasoning all night. They turn out nearly greasless, tender, juicy, and I always get rave reviews. Also I usually allow my guests to drink heavily as I perform my egg magic and serve the food late. When they sober up think back on the experience, I'm included in their prayers at bedtime for the rest of their lives.

• King-O-Coals, Sounds like an ode to Saint King-O-Coals - I'm going to try this one if I can stay up past 9pm!

• the ribs were unbelievable...I also chucked in a Vidalia Onion which I put butter and honey on,,,,,
    Oh YEA!!!
    Next time I will coook longer...it all happened too fast![p]Thank you all for your encouragement...[p]MW and the egg

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    MW - thank you all, Hey,, it's kinda like a first date! You'll settle down and become just as nutty as the rest of us..
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Thats what I would call candle power ribs. I have yet to throttle Boss Egg down to that low a temperature. Whats the secret?
    C~W

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Char-Woody, We usually get the coals going, then put on the baby backs (usually three slabs cut into 6 halves), close the bottom damper to about a toothpicks width and close the lid down to nearly closed. Some adjustments may be needed and usually the temp hangs between 150 and 200, but we are usually up, taking in fluids, and as excited as kids on Christmas Eve as the anticipation grows. I usually turn the ribs and rotate the grate every 2 hours to keep a check for hot spots. Refrain from looking except for that. I was shown this by a rookie egger. It's the most requested item by my friends.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Never too late to learn a new wrinkle in ribs. I been getting there in 3 hours on the high side..so will try this one for the low and slow. Thanks for the tip, and top "Q" to you...
    Cheers..Char-Woody[p]

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Can't wait to own one of these. My ribs are maninated for a week, smoked on a smoker for 6 hours and then put on the grill to galze the sause. You guys do it in one operation.
    Glenn

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Glenn,[p] Hey..I just found you this evening! Just finished revaming the computer. Will have to find you a new handle to use here. [p]We have Glenn from Krauses Kafe in Texas..Fine German food! And a super rib master in his own right...Good to see you :-)
    Cheers..Char-Woody[p](Glenn is from Bemidji, Minnesota and may soon own a pair of Large BGE's...maybe!!)