Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - the Outcome.

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I roasted a 6 3/4 lb "3 ribber" with the bones in. I cooked it indirect over an inverted plate setter after searing each side of on a very hot range-top griddle . My target temperature was 350° but the howling freezing wind had the gauge moving around like nothing I'd seen before. My guess is that the average was something between 330 and 340°.[p]I pulled it off after 2 hours 20 minutes when the internal temperature hit 140°. After resting for 30 minutes, it soared to 153°, YIKES. The beef was excellent but definitely too well-done for my taste. Next time I will pull the meat off at 125-130° internal. Live & learn...
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Fairalbion,[p]We had a great roast last night. I think it was about a 7 pounder, bone in (cut n' re-wrapped).[p]I had given it a generous rub down in montreal steak seasoning, with some extra coarse ground pepper the day prior. I let it dry a bit in the fridge for a day or so.[p]I didn't sear mine directly, but we got an eggcellent bark on it by finishing off at about 450 for the last 30 minutes or so.[p]I had a house full of "well-doners" so I had to let it get to at least medium. I guessed it right at 140 and it had just the right color.[p]After resting (me *and* the roast!) we even had enough juice for some au ju (ahchoo?). Ahhhh... I'm getting hungry again just typing about it...[p]Time for a sammich with extra homemade horseradish.[p]Hope all was well with the eggheads,
    bc

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    xmasprib2a.jpg
    <p />We are not fond of meat that is pink so I cooked our P.Rib to 140° and let it sit in foil in the cooler for ½ hour. The results were excellent. It was rubbed with ground pepper corns, Kosher salt and a pinch of garlic and a few crushed juniper berries.
  • Fairalbion,
    My sister-in-law and her husband (a butcher) came to dinner and brought an 11lb. boneless prime rib.[p]Several slivers of fresh garlic inserted deep into the meat, a healthy coating of Montreal and onto the Egg @375.[p]3 hours later, it was a perfect 145 right down the middle. We had several "well doners" at our house as well but they gravitated to the oven cooked ham. Oh well, more prime for me![p]BTW, couldn't use the V rack as the roast was too big! Had to go directly on the grill over a drip pan and plate setter.[p]Sammichs for days![p]Happy holidays to all of you!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    Just curious, was one of the "well doners" the butcher? I beat not!

• Shelby,[p]Oh heck no! He loves rare to medium rare. His wife, on the other hand, took her piece and put it in the microwave until it was gray...[p]Some people![p]Cheers!