Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Switching over to the BGE

SmokeyBones
SmokeyBones Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all you eggers,

Currently using the GD and I have to say it cooks great, however the customers service really lacks. I've had an issue with my fire ring and firebox cracking this cooker I have was recently purchased about a month and half ago. its a 2000 model that was never used, and still packaged from the unauthorized GD dealer which they acquired from a authorized one that was going out of business.

Needless to say I have no warranty
so I need to pay for the replacement parts which I don't have an issue with. However the owner of GD doesn't seem like he wants to sell me anything yet, he told me "no need to spend your money right now just keep using the cooker". I would rather them on hand for when I need them and not have any down time.

I'm looking to purchase a BGE from a local dealer. My first question is are any of you eggers having issues with your inards cracking and how does BGE handle these matters?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Most will crack sometime. I replaced my firebox no questions asked. BGE is the best for customer service just make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.
  • Big O,
    Customer Service is the best. I cracked the Fire Box Called CS in Atlanta they sent right away.

Ross
  • http://www.biggreenegg.com/warranty.html

read the warranty keyword "lifetime'

my firebox is in 3 pieces and i have not replaced it as it is easier to remove for cleaning and does not effect performance.

bge has a reputation for first class customer service and it is one of the reasons they have such a loyal following of cult members
    bill
  • Bill, How old is your egg? Do you have any idea as to how it cracked? Thanks for replying.
  • The firebox in almost all Eggs will crack eventually. I've been using my original firebox in 4 pieces for about 7 years now. Once they crack into a few pieces, however, that's it. They usually don't crack any more. Some do, but I think most don't. So I have had a replacement firebox in my garage for 7 years now, and who knows if I'll ever use it. I've had four Eggs (currently have 3) and all of them have had fireboxes break into a few pieces and then that was it. No more breaking.

Most dealers are very good on service from what I hear. Mine is great. If you have a dealer near you, you can often purchase parts or get warrantee parts with no shipping if the dealer is willing to include it in a larger shipment of stuff. If you can wait for him to get a larger shipment, no shipping.
    The Naked Whiz
  • egg is 3 yrs old . i am not sure how it cracked but i suspect it was a result of my hairbrained attept at cleaning the large after 2 years of build up i burned a full load of R/o south american wide open till it went out ... temps of 900-1000° for several hours ... bad idea.. however the cracked firebox is not a problem performance wise not will it be a problem when i want to replace.. fishlessman's box used to be in 7 pieces but i think he might be up to 9 now. i have pics of firebox if you want to see
  • TNW thanks for replying, I'm rather new to this whole ceramic grill scene so I wasn't aware that these inards would crack as fast as mine did. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it. Its still in 1 piece.
  • I truly think you can judge a company on how it decides to deal with it's problems. Big Green Egg handles it warranty situations in a fashion that I decided on an Egg way back when.

I am now an Egg dealer here in Northern California. I routinly take care of warranty issues for BGE customers, I try to stock all parts and can order in within a week if out of stock.

A ceramic cooker is an investment, a BGE holds it's value based on it's great customer service. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Don't think I have ever experience better customer service from a company (going on 12 years egging). They stand behind their products and are a pleasure to work with (when needed). I am happy to have started my ceramic experience there, recommend them to others and see no reason to change!
  • and if your dealer doesn't take care of you, just call up headquarters, they take care of you.