Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

my CI Dutch oven is tacky - why?

RRPRRP Posts: 15,579
edited 9:16AM in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I once again egged some beans using my beloved Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. When done I cleaned it with hot water and a brush - as I always do - and then using veggie oil on a paper towel I oiled it enough to give it a sheen all over - as I always do - and then placed it in the oven at 250° for 30 minutes and left it there overnight - as I always to - but now it is tacky in spots and the shiny platina I've always had is streaked! What happened?, but importantly should I just clean it and again and re coat? I was proud of the finish I was building up, but yikes I went backwards!
Ron
Dunlap, IL
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    When mine get tacky and dried crude, I turn them upside down in the BGE and do a high temp clean 600F and leave over night. Next day the junk is gone and I start over the curing process.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,579
    but it wasn't crudy inside - I had cleaned it well. I'm hoping I can salvage the finish and not have to start all over again from scratch.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    Any news on the Dutch Coffee candies?
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When this happens with mine, it has usually been from putting too much oil on the DO when I finished cleaning.

I usually turn the pan over and get it very hot, Wipe with dry paper towel. If not still warm/hot I reheat and lightly oil and begin my cook.

Not sure if that is what is supposed to be done, but that is what I do.

Kent
    ·
  • For what it's worth, I always use Crisco. I cook it at 350° for about an hour and a half. Turn off the oven, and let it cool down on it's own. I've had similar problems as you, whenever I tried to use too much crisco...especially if the crisco is allowed to puddle in the bottom of the DO when right-side-up. I aways start over whenever this happens, and I "cook" it up-side-down. Doesn't take too long. Good luck.
    ·
  • I'm with DynaGreaseball...I only use Crisco shortening. Only a very light coat. The streaks will go away, it just takes a few seasonings. I am refurbing a bunch of CI skillets and pots as we speak. It's a process, but the outcome is amazing and my clients love it.
    ·
    Thanks folks - I went back and rescrubbed it with hot water and a stiff brush. Then placed top and bottom on the stove and reheated them to point they were sufficently warm and then wiped a thin even coat of Criso all over. I've allowed to dry (cool down) and the finish looks great and isn't tacky!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    LOL - no offense but I was hoping to trade the Rademaker Hopjes Koffee candies from Holland for something I didn't already have!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    You do not have my "Indian River Rainbow Pepper" or its companion the " Indian River Rainbow Salt". Might even throw in the "Indian River Herb Blend" Just trying to bribe you! LOL
    ·
    Here's my stash which weighs exactly 5 pounds.
    IMG_2629.jpg

and here is a site stating a value of $8.50 per pound.
    http://www.atouchofdutch.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

Want to think over an offer and send it via email? I'm leaving for a visitation and won't be back for a while
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    Drop me a usps addy and I will send my small package. You then decide what is a fair exchange. Regards
    ·
  • TripmakerTripmaker Posts: 124
    After cleaning my DO I simply wipe the inside with a light coating of Crisco to prevent any rust from forming as I keep it in my camper with my other CI pans. I don't reheat it. Next time I use it, it's ready to go.
    ·