Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my CI Dutch oven is tacky - why?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I once again egged some beans using my beloved Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. When done I cleaned it with hot water and a brush - as I always do - and then using veggie oil on a paper towel I oiled it enough to give it a sheen all over - as I always do - and then placed it in the oven at 250° for 30 minutes and left it there overnight - as I always to - but now it is tacky in spots and the shiny platina I've always had is streaked! What happened?, but importantly should I just clean it and again and re coat? I was proud of the finish I was building up, but yikes I went backwards!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    When mine get tacky and dried crude, I turn them upside down in the BGE and do a high temp clean 600F and leave over night. Next day the junk is gone and I start over the curing process.
  • RRP
    but it wasn't crudy inside - I had cleaned it well. I'm hoping I can salvage the finish and not have to start all over again from scratch.
  • Richard Fl
    Any news on the Dutch Coffee candies?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When this happens with mine, it has usually been from putting too much oil on the DO when I finished cleaning.

I usually turn the pan over and get it very hot, Wipe with dry paper towel. If not still warm/hot I reheat and lightly oil and begin my cook.

Not sure if that is what is supposed to be done, but that is what I do.

Kent
  • For what it's worth, I always use Crisco. I cook it at 350° for about an hour and a half. Turn off the oven, and let it cool down on it's own. I've had similar problems as you, whenever I tried to use too much crisco...especially if the crisco is allowed to puddle in the bottom of the DO when right-side-up. I aways start over whenever this happens, and I "cook" it up-side-down. Doesn't take too long. Good luck.
  • I'm with DynaGreaseball...I only use Crisco shortening. Only a very light coat. The streaks will go away, it just takes a few seasonings. I am refurbing a bunch of CI skillets and pots as we speak. It's a process, but the outcome is amazing and my clients love it.
  • RRP
    Thanks folks - I went back and rescrubbed it with hot water and a stiff brush. Then placed top and bottom on the stove and reheated them to point they were sufficently warm and then wiped a thin even coat of Criso all over. I've allowed to dry (cool down) and the finish looks great and isn't tacky!
  • RRP
    LOL - no offense but I was hoping to trade the Rademaker Hopjes Koffee candies from Holland for something I didn't already have!
  • Richard Fl
    You do not have my "Indian River Rainbow Pepper" or its companion the " Indian River Rainbow Salt". Might even throw in the "Indian River Herb Blend" Just trying to bribe you! LOL
  • RRP
    Here's my stash which weighs exactly 5 pounds.
    IMG_2629.jpg

and here is a site stating a value of $8.50 per pound.
    http://www.atouchofdutch.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

Want to think over an offer and send it via email? I'm leaving for a visitation and won't be back for a while
  • Richard Fl
    Drop me a usps addy and I will send my small package. You then decide what is a fair exchange. Regards
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    After cleaning my DO I simply wipe the inside with a light coating of Crisco to prevent any rust from forming as I keep it in my camper with my other CI pans. I don't reheat it. Next time I use it, it's ready to go.