Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning a "clean" burn this am

Options
Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what is the best way to wipe down the inside of the egg?
Plan on 500 dome for an hour and leaving the ci grate in the lge egg. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob
Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You can go hotter if you like. If you aren't putting the platesetter in, an hour or so should be just fine If it is still smoking (because the grease is burning off) after the hour, let it go longer for sure.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    After the fire is out and it cools a bit, take some foil, ball it up, and wipe down the inside to the egg.
    After the fire is completely out, shop vac it clean.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    To protect the gasket can you roll up, lengthwise, a long piece of aluminum foil and place it on the gasket material during a long cleaning burn?
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    DryFly....I'm not sure that ur gasket is at risk at 500 dome. Maybe one of the eggsperts will add a comment. And thanks to the guys that responded to my Q.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • bubba tim
    Options
    At 500 you should not have a problem with your gasket. Around 700-750 for extended times could start a problem. If your egg is that dirty, scrape most of the crapola off with a plastic scraper BEFORE you ramp up the temp to about 550-600. Then next time use a drip pan! :woohoo: :woohoo: Make sense?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    bubba tim...thanks for the come back. Do use a drip pan or HD alum boat on all indirect cooks. Just trying to eliminate build up on the dome and sides.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Cooked chili yesterday and had my setup warming up while preparing the stuff (spider, pizza stone, CI DO). After the chili, I took everything apart to bake a loaf of bread (Adjustable rig, grid on highest level, pizza stone). To my surprise, the pizza stone was now white again. It had been covered w/ burnt on grease (didn't cover w/ foil going indirect...I will from now on) and was basically black on both sides. Clean as a hound's tooth now as well as my firebox and fire ring. Now if I could only get rid of six year's worth of grime on the dome.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Buxwheat....the grime ur talking about is what I am trying to avoid. Only had my lge for a yr and i see a film on the dome. At 500 i'm not getting as much smoke as I thought I would, i'll rub her down with foil and after she cools hit her with the shop vac. Happy eggin'.
    Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • bubba tim
    Options
    It depends, most of the time it is just HD foil. I am lazy, I work smart, not hard! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You might be overthinking this. Go ahead and do it as you plan to, but in the future, the burn alone can get everything below the dome white.

I stopped using the shop vac on the egg because the fine ash clogged up the filter so I had to clean THAT!

I find that with an ash tool I'm able to get rid of pretty much all the ash.