Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an 11.5lb beef brisket still in the cryovac. I have seen alot of talk about the point and the flat. Do I need to seperate these two pieces and smoke at a different temp and times for each piece. Can I smoke the whole brisket as is and get good results. My last one was tender but very dry. Thanks for any help in regards to this cook.

Comments

• Grate Grills
    Options
    BajaTom,
    You can do whole brisket together. Watch temps with brisket as it does dry out easily if temp gets away from you. Did a 11 pounder yesterday. Set up around 7 AM took it off around 730pm. Turned out fantastic. What a great machine!!! Temp was around 20 deg. with a steady wind. Never added fuel, did not adjust vents just let it cook.

• alternity
    Options
    Grate Grills,
    yeea and you get better as you cook more brisket. the last one I did was my best and Im almost not sure if I can repeat it. A fickle cut of meat.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]I used to cook my briskets in one piece. I don't do it anymore. The flat always reaches temperature before the point. There are quite a few ways to overcome that, but for me, the simplest way is to separate the flat and point. If you have two Polders, or whatever, you can monitor the internal temp of both. I just monitor the flat and pull it at ~195° and then put the probe in the point. The point usually only takes 1-2 hours more than the flat to reach my target temp. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim