Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - Indirect ro Direct after sear?

Options
Kip
Kip Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have decided after searching the archives to sear first and then cook at 250*. After searing, should I use an inverted plate setter of just cook direct? Also; Any advantage to bone in? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Kip,[p]On the egg, there is a BIG disadvantage to searing your meat first, before doing the slow cook. After the sear, you have to wait forever for the temp to go down.[p]I sear AFTER the slow cook, and the method works wonderfully. Put the roast in a v-rack inside a drip pan and cook indirect at 250* over a plate setter until you have an internal of 125*. Then take it off and wrap tightly in heavy foil and set aside. While in the foil, the internal will jump another ten degrees or so, while you're taking out the plate setter and opening the vents for a 600* sear. When that temp is reached, put the roast back on and sear each of the 6 sides about 3 or 4 minutes each, just like you would a steak. Then take it off, and wrap up in foil for 20 minutes or so, for the juices to redistribute.[p]Comes out perfect, and in less time than searing it first.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Kip,[p]For Thanksgiving I did a 2-bone-in prime rib (about 5 lbs). I prepped with salt, pepper, and porter mustard then seared it first on the Mini (> 750 F). I then transferred to the Medium for low and slow. For this setup, I used firebricks, drip pan, and raised grid and cooked at about 250 F until internal temp read about 135 F (about 2 hrs?? I can't remember exactly). Pulled it off the Egg, tented with foil, and let sit for about 15 minutes, during which time the internal temp rose to about 142 F. It was medium rare in the center and medium on the ends. One of the most flavorful cuts of beef I've cooked. It was delicious and VERY juicy. The fat around the bones bastes the meat so that the meat around the bones is even tastier--I would say that is the main advantage of cooking with bone-in. Good luck!
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Kip,
    You can always sear the thing on the stove top, then proceed with the cook in the egg. The advantage here is that you can render the fat to use for Yorkshire pudding or jus. Otherwise, sear on the egg, then remove the meat and stabilize the temp. - no matter if the meat cools off. I would cook at 200F to avoid a "window" effect of rare middle with well-done outer, and the temperature creep that turns medium rare into burnt ends. 130F internal for m-rare.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    DavidR,[p]I concur with DJM on this one but will use a twist. I've got several Eggs to play with and will do the first 30-45 minutes at 500* indirect to start the "crusting". I'll then transfer to a second Egg coasting along at about 250* with Polder probe in place for the balance of the cook to 130* internal and then 20 minutes of resting.[p]I've had good luck with this technique in the past[p]K~G

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Kip,
    To each his own but last night I cooked possibly the best piece of meat on my egg and did the 11.5 pound boneless rib-eye indirect with no searing. The leftovers tonight were every bit as flavorful and tender as last night.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Shelby,
    What temp did you use in your setup, and about how long did your cook take?

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Steve-O,
    I did indirect with plate setter at 325* and it was right at 3 hours. Wonderful meal! VERY juicy and tender.