Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friendship Bread

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those that asked...

Below is the Vanilla Loaf that was made from the last batch (10/17).

abread1.jpg

abread2.jpg

abread3.jpg

GG

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That reminds me, I need to go home and mash my bag.

I added my cups of milk, sugar, and flour today. Looking forward to it, thanks again.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Hey Kent, That is some nice looking bread! :) Why is it called friendship bread?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    You are welcome.

That reminds me I have to add the stuff too. ooops!

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Tim,

It is called Amish Friendship Bread.

There is a story that is send out with the 'start'.

The process takes 10 days. On the last day when the final ingredients are added there ends up being some new 'starts' which are supposed to be given to neighbors and friends.

I have an idea on how to make a start. When I get some time I am going to give it a try. I am also testing freezing at different stages so I re-start the process when I want.

If you would like to try it email your name and address I don't think 'Bubba' will get it to you.

Kent
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yep! Just completed my daily mashing...

I call it mushing!

~ Gracias, Amigo!

~ Broc
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i remember that stuff being good... for the first couple months but i had no idea how to stop making it.. so i had to throw it away :whistle: but i think i added raisins to the last batch or two i made.. ;)

looks great thanks again for your help on the pen

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Nice bread.
    Still looking for a camera, what did you use for those pics?

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Raisins, good idea. I too have tossed some starts. My daughter is going to try and put in some chocolate chips in a loaf.

I guess one can get pretty creative with this stuff.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    Options
    You don't think it will get to me? The inventer of Bubba Burgers and the Bubba Keg? My postal cleck and I are on a first name basis. :woohoo: :woohoo: email coming at ya. Thx Kent.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The start is easy.

Just dissolve a packet of yeast in lukewarm water like you do with bread. Add it to 1 cup of Sugar, Flour and Milk. Follow the directions you have. Just keep it in a non-reactive container and stir each day, until the 5th day. Add the milk, sugar and flour again. So on and so forth.

The starter it great in pancakes too. Just eliminate the baking powder and reduce the liquid.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If you put it in the freezer it will stop. It will come to life again when it's thawed and brought to room temp.

The regular refrigerator slows it down considerably.

My Aunt had a starter on her stove that was years old. I think it died when she did. She used it in almost anything that called for yeast or baking powder and needed to be sweet.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I did it yesterday. Thanks Kent
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Hey Tim,, I'll send you some starter when it's ready
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mike,

I used a Nikon D70. The lens is a no-name macro brand. I haven't wanted to spend the money for an expensive macro lens.

If I were going to get another less expensive inexpensive digital I think I would go for a Cannon Power Shot or Pentax models. There are a lot of opinions out there though.

Kent
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    weird
    just got some starter today from a lady at work.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    do you deliver? Remember, I got lump. :P :P
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Might be both :laugh: It will be ready to mail by mid next week. Email your address if you want me to send it. Or just call, you should have my cell#. Just finished mashing again.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Mash, you makin shine boy? You are speaking greek. I know you or Kent will be giving me detailed intructions and when I sober up a little more I will be able to read them. :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Thanks a bunch Kent for taking the time tonight for a crash course in cameras. I'm going to head to Circuit City sometime tommorrow.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Happy to talk with you again.

Make sure you get a clear answer from CC about the return policy. If CC won't price match then go to Walmart and do what we talked about.

The specs for that camera sure look nice. I will be interested to see some results and what you think of that model.

Try a bunch of different types of shots including the 13 & 30fps movies.

I wouldn't mind you sending some of the original files I would like to play with them to see how they turn out.

Kent
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Hey, Kent! I just received the "bag". I appreciate you sending this and I'm looking forward to trying it.....one question, can you elaborate on the 'mashing the bag' procedure?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice shots, Kent--the bread looks great!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The mashing is just mixing the ingredients withing the bag. I use two hands and force the mix from one hand to the other and back. It doesn't seem to take much.

The first batch I really worked the mix back and forth. The second batch not so much. Sometimes as little as from one side to the other and than back to the first.

I do usually try to get all the mix to the bottom of the bag. I just put the top of the bag on the edge of the counter and pull it up so the mix goes to the bottom, kind of like the end of a tube of tooth paste.

I have even forgot to do the daily mix. Late on the 6th day adding step and cooking as long as two days late. The stuff seems to be pretty forgiving. If you haven't already you should do the add step tomorrow.

The day 6 step seems to get the mix going and some expanding. I open the bag anytime there seems to be more air in the bag.

Hope you enjoy it.

Kent
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Isn't that interesting we have our first batch to cook today. Don't think my wife will want to Egg it.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Great job it looks wonderful. I bet it tastes as good as it looks.