Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using Less Lump

Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know if it's gunk deposited on the inside of the dome, or a funky batch of BGE lump, or something else, but lately I've been getting some "off" flavors in my cooks. I've started trying to guestimate the amount of lump each cook will need and putting in just that much. And I've been letting the flame spread a little more before putting in the food. It seems to be helping.

Comments

• It might be time for a high temp "cleaning" burn. 500 for an hour ought to do it.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I always like to have some used lump around to get the fire gong with. I build the base with new lump and pour the used on top and light that.The heat from the used seams to burn off the VOC's of the new quickly.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    How are you lighting the egg?

GG
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Have you had recent low and slow cooks or cooks that would have had drippings that went into the old lump? This can cause alot of off flavors as the dripping burn off from previous cooks. I would do as recommended earlier. High temp burn at 500 degrees for an hour or so and clean out any old lump.
  • Grandpas Grub wrote:
    How are you lighting the egg?
    GG
    I cut a BGE starter square into three strips, distribute them around in the lump, end up, and light them with a butane spark gizmo. I keep the dome open until the flames go out and there is no visible smoke and there is no more smell of burning wax. Then I close the dome and crank up the temp.
  • UGAVET wrote:
    Have you had recent low and slow cooks or cooks that would have had drippings that went into the old lump? This can cause alot of off flavors as the dripping burn off from previous cooks. I would do as recommended earlier. High temp burn at 500 degrees for an hour or so and clean out any old lump.
    I've noticed the "off" taste with a completely emptied, vacuumed out, and refilled fire box, both with all new lump and with a mix of new and used lump.

The only reason I suspect the lump is that both the Large and the Small Eggs started doing this at about the same time. I just bought a new bag of BGE lump from the local dealer. I'm going to try that too.