Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Rib Roast- Help please.

Options
Big-R
Big-R Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're having a seven bone rib roast for Xmas dinner. (Courtesy of father-in-law) and I need to know about how long it will take to cook. Planning 300 degree indirect to about 145 degree internal. It is bone-in, and about 15 lbs. Need to impress the in-laws with my skills. Probably eat dinner in the evening (maybe Saturday). We're at UNC hospital right now as my son is recovering from chest wall reconstructive surgery. Will be here til this Friday so Xmas at the hospital. All is well and he's recovering well.[p]Best wishes to all my green room friends. Hug them close and love them well cause it can all end in an instant.[p]Randy

Comments

• Big-R,[p]About a year and a half ago, I cooked a beast of this size on my large BGE. I was just looking at my notes. Here is the way it went down: I seasoned the meat w/Montreal the day before and let it sit in the frige. On cooking day I took it out and let it come up to room temp. (about 2 hrs). I had my BGE up to about 600F. I seared the meat on all sides for probably 2-3 min. per side. I then took this giant off and put it in a rack with a drip pan while the BGE cooled to around 300F. I then added a couple handfulls of hickory chips and put the meat back in. After 3 hours, I was up to 134F internal. I pulled it and let it sit covered in foil for about 15 min and then carved. It was awesome if you like medium rare. When I do it again, I will probably yank it at 125F and it will be more to my liking! Good luck and Merry Christmas. P.S.- I just smoked a 26lb. turkey for Christmas dinner. As you can see, I like big pieces of animal![p]DanO

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Big-R,[p]145 degree internal is what you want if you desire a medium cook with very little pink in the middle. From the prime ribs that I've done, I have found that 120* internals were perfect for pink in the middle, while having the meat still done. I like the herbed prime rib that you'll find in the excellant link below. The au jus that you get from it is fantastic. There is also a great recipe for the horseradish dipping sauce that is to die for.

[ul][li]Stogie's prime rib recipes[/ul]