Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

strength needed to lift the lid

Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are soon going to be buying a BGE and we went to a local dealer to look at the various sizes.

My wife was concerned about the strength required to lift the lid. It seems very heavy and she wasn't sure she'd be able to lift it easily. We did try the XL and it seems to have a different hinge design which makes it easier to lift.

Is the XL easier to lift? Do the large and XL model get easier to lift as time goes on and the hinge gets used?

Barry
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i dont find the large heavy at all, i wonder if the dealer had the hinge on upsidedown
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Shiff,

Careful with the XL spring assisted hinge. Most of us have removed the spring assist as it does not allow a perfect seal between the dome and base. The large may feel heavy at first, but it really is not. I guess people change their stance after getting use to it. I think you may just have not expected it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shiff
    Thanks for the comment about the XL hinge.

I really don't think we'll need an XL BGE, but the feel of lifting the lid was moving us in the direction of buying an XL. There are only 2 of us, but we do expect to entertain from time to time for small dinner parties.

I did a lot of forum searching before I made this post. I suspect that there has been a lot of discussion about "Large vs XL" eggs, but I couldn't find anything in my searches. I don't want to start another thread on this subject, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I'll read what has already been written.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    'Heavy' I guess would be subjective.

My wife does have arthritis so we pay attention to heavy or awkward lifting.

The large does not seem heavy for my wife or myself, that is if we are standing in front of the egg.

I would think the decision should be mainly directed to the amount of cooking surface you may be needing. I would question an XL for 2 to 4 people. With that said I do not have an XL. I do have all the smaller sizes.

Once I was working on the bands and hinges on my medium and something was wrong the the hinge setup. It was extremely hard to open or close the egg. It felt like if I would have lifted much harder I might 'break' the hing/band assembly.

The 8 small bolts on the back on the hinge were loose and the hinge got to a point where it would bearly move.

I simply closed the dome, loosened and re tightened the bolts and all was well and easy to open & close.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Shiff,

There have been a few threads Large vs XL but I haven't seen one in a while. The dome geometry is differrent with the XL than the other sizes. It is a great cooker but the large is IMHO far more versatile. There is a thread down a bit about medium and large. I have seen stronger guys than me talk about the weight of the dome on the large but as I said, you don't notice it after a short time.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shiff
    Thanks for the informative comment. The dealer seems very knowledgeable but it is possible that someone assembled the demos incorrectly.

We'll be going back to the store soon and will give them a try again.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Yeah, you get used to the weight of the large then when you open a mini, you about rip the dome off. -RP
  • Shiff
    Little Steven,

Our current grill is a little gas grill with a rectangular grid that measures 288 square inches. I was concerned when I saw that the large BGE only has 255 square inches. I realize there are ways to use 2 level grills, etc., but the area still seems small.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    I got to thinking about what I posted. I just went out and opened the large dome.

I understand you thinking it harder to lift. As in one of the above posts, we have just gotten used to it. The initial open is 'harder' but the lid when almost open seems to pass a gravity point.

It would be important not to jerk the dome open as there is a minimal possibility the ceramic may dislodge if a strong fast movement was made. This explanation possibly is a little extreme and the opening for us isn't at all an issue.

We find the mini to be a real fun combination of eggs. I have cooked a 24# turkey in the large and the mini is excellent for us and up to 3 or 4 of the pre-teen grand kids.

You will really enjoy your egg. From your comments above my opinion, for what it is worth, the XL is too big.

I do know one thing. There will be a day in the future you will say, 'I sure wish I bought and egg a long time ago'.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I think that is a pretty common thought.

You will find you can cook a lot more than your initial impression.

GG
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    That's the only exercise some of us get, so it's a good thing.
  • Shiff
    Everyone's comments have been most useful. I also did some more searching and finally found some past posts about XL vs Large and have been reading them for the past half hour.

Several people pointed out that for the price of an XL you can buy a large and a small which can make cooking very flexible. That sounds like a good long term strategy.

We are building a deck shortly and I will be buying my egg as soon as it is finished. I'm trying to do all my research now so I won't waste any time once the deck is done. I want to start exercising my arm muscles to get ready.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • We bought our first BGE,large, 4 months ago. I have fibro/pain issues and I have not had any problems. I do probably need to grip it stronger than my husband. And don't forget to burp it when it is hot. I know that when I've concentrated on lifting the lid I forget that and sometimes it is quite warm.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Thats weird that the large would seem heavier than the XL even if the XL has the hinge assist. I have both and have never thought that the large lid was heavier. Wonder if something is wrong with the hinge they have installed. I would definately go with the large.
  • Shiff
    I think the large will be my choice.

When I tried both lids, the XL just seemed easier to lift. We didn't spend much time comparing them, but will be going back to the store shortly.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Little Steven
    Shiff,

That's good! You will have loads of space for all your eggcessories. I doubt you'll ever use it for anything else when you get your egg. I don't have a gas grill.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have an XL with the newer (2 years or so) style spring-hinge and I have no problems with the weight or seal.

I also got a flip ring from EggAccessories and have massive cooking space.

I'm sure it's all in what you get used to and what you can afford.

I love my XL.

It's all good!
  • Make sure the large you are looking at has the spring assisted lid. If it does and it is adjusted correct it should not be an issue at all.
  • Shiff
    I didn't realize that the large has the spring assisted hinge. I don't remember seeing it on the one at the store. I'll look closer on my next visit.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Little Steven
    AZRP,

That's egg'zactly why I don't have a mini. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I haven't removed my hinge and have not had a problem with the seal. I just think if you take the time to adjust the bands you can achieve the proper seal. The lid does have some weight to it wen doing this task.