Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure cooker opinion

UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a quick inquiry to which pressure cooker any of the canners on the forum like the best. Seems like Amazon has alot of Presto models. I am going to can my grandmothers Brunswick stew recipe in quarts to give as Christmas presents as she used to do. Thanks for the recommendations ahead of time.

Comments

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Glad to know I'm not the only one without a life on a Friday night. I would check out Epinions.com.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• UGAVET
    haha, yeah been sittn here all day trying to recover from the flu doing nothing but surfing. You got mail.
  • We have used Mirro pressure cookers all my life. Presto I believe bought out Mirro a number of years back. The Presto should work just fine.

Just get out your Ball Blue Book for instructions on canning the stew. Let me know if you need any info on the process.

Jay
  • UGAVET
    Thanks, i may definately have to look you up when i get ready to do it.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    jsshobie,

Welcome to the neighborhood.

My pressure canner is a 17 Qt Presto and a real workhorse. And you are spot on about the Blue Book, it's the bible for us home canners.

UGAVET,

A pressure cooker is a cool tool to have in your arsenal. My newest one is a 2-1/2 Qt Rikon. A real sweetheart.

DSC05817JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • UGAVET
    what do you use the 2 1/2 quart cooker for?
  • thirdeye
    it is great for side dishes like winter squash, potatoes, carrots, artichokes, risotto, etc. Also corned beef, stew meat, broth/stock & 6 minute meals. It's a great size. Of course I have a 6 & 8 Qt too for bigger tasks.

DSC05820JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• I use the Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. It rocks. It has a built-in digital timer, so you can set it for however long you want it to cook at pressure and then it will turn itself off and come down to keep-warm temperature. It also has a removeable nonstick insert. Finally, there are high-temp options that work well for searing and simmering.

I have seen this pressure cooker in use in high-end restaurant kitchens. The only disadvantage I can see is that it might take a bit longer to come to temperature because the built-in heater is not as powerful as the rangetop. I minimize this difference by preheating any liquid if I'm in a hurry. Also, the owner's manual is a bit disappointing if you're new to the technology of pressure cookers.

It runs about $100.

Whatever model you get, I recommend getting a copy of the classic cookbook on pressure cookers, Pressure Perfect, by Lorna Sass. It's an essential reference and very helpful as well if you haven't used a pressure cooker before.
  • thirdeye
    Any idea what pressure your electric cooker produces?

Some of them are 11 to 12 pounds. Almost all pressure cooking recipes are written for the standard 15 pound cookers. So you may need to allow additional time and make margin notes as you try new recipes.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~