Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

very rusty cast iron pot

Options
Otobiz
Otobiz Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my mommy out looking for some cast iron bean pots and she found a bunch of them in an old barn sale,2$ a piece, no lids but they are very rusty ,whats the best thing to do to bring them back, should I have them sandblasted, or just wire wheel them or are they junk.

Thanks for the input

Steve

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Nope Follow the pictures below..

dutch-1.jpg

dutch-2.jpg

dutch-3.jpg

dutch-4.jpg

dutch-5.jpg

dutch-6.jpg
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I sandblast all the old CI I have acquired, but I have access to a nice sandblaster here at work. They come out like brand new unless they're badly pitted. If you go this route, don't handle the pieces by hand unless you're going to season them immediately. I left the first piece I did in the garage for a few days before I was ready to season it and by the time I got to it, there were rusty fingerprint marks on it where I had handled it. Mark
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Yes you can sandblast them. If you have access to one its going to be really fast. I did one about a month ago and it was completely clean in about 5 minutes. After that just cover in crisco and slap em in the oven.
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    c. wolf
    a very nice photo story - well done
    mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    My eggsperience was with no access to a sandblaster.

As a kid, I was digging in my grandparent's back garden, and found a cast iron skillet. It wasn't Grandma's, so Mom took it home, and had Dad clean it up similar to how Celtic Wolf shows above.

*cough!* 38 *cough!* years later my parents are still using that skillet.

Just depends on what you have access to!

$2 is a good find!
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    How can any decent, right thinkin' American let the nation's original cookware deteriorate into that condition, CW? He ought to be sandblasted!
  • Poodlemom
    Options
    I've found that good old fashioned lard works better than Crisco when you get ready to reseason. Take my advice and do as Celtic Wolf as suggested on the BGE, makes for a nasty smell in the house if you do it in a gas oven.
  • Otobiz
    Otobiz Posts: 82
    Options
    I think I will give smokin wolverin my pot to get sand blasted at his work, i Gave him one of the 2$ pots im not sure if he had his done yet or not,

Thanks for the help guys
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Boy, that's the truth. Learned that the hard way.

Just one more thing the Egg is Eggcellent for.

Spring "Stink Is Not A Good Thing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Actually my ex-wife should be. She put them in a basement that got flooded, before I won them back.

I have three more I need to restore and now that I have time I am going to do just that.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Might want to try Coca-Cola. I soaked a small piece of very rusty CI in Coke for a couple of hours and it came out rust free.