Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder vs Boston Butt

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a big difference between the two when making pulled pork? I've only smoked boston butts.

Comments

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    The shoulder has less fat and tends to render results that sometimes remind you a little bit more of ham than barbecue. At least that is my take. Both do fine, and I just buy whatever is cheapest.
  • hounddog,[p]thanks - I can get shoulders for 89 cents per pound - the lowest I can find a butt for right now is $1.69.
  • Whistleville Smoker,[p]A pork shoulder and a boston butt are basically the same cut of meat. The shoulder is the front leg of a pig from the knee up. A shoulder is cut in half and one side is called the boston butt. I'm not sure if both sides are called BBs or not. The front shoulder is generally has more fat (more flavor) than the hams (back legs) but they are not as pretty if you want to slice the meat. When we do bbq we cook one of each and mix it all together. [p]Does anyone know for sure if both sides of the shoulder are called BBs?

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Whistleville Smoker,[p]A pork shoulder is usually separated into 2 parts: the picnic and the butt. The butt is better for pulled pork.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]