Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lamb question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I realize this might be a simple question, but if a recipe says "butterflied leg of lamb" is one to assume that the bone has been removed? THanks in advance.
Seth

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Seth Howard:[p]Yes. I like to roll it back up and tie it for the cook and slice to serve. The usual Greek marinate with lemon, olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic for a few hours works well with this cut.
    [/b]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    djm5x9,
    That's good. I also like to make any additional cuts needed to allow the leg to lay perfectly flat and grill it (after marinating in the mix you suggested).
    Ken

• BlueSmoke,
    Ken,
    could you give me time and temp for when you do it this way please? I am shooting for med rare. thanks.
    seth

• BlueSmoke,
    One more thing.... any wood for this cook, or straight lump?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    This was from Good Eats and looked great when Alton Brown cooked. I have not tried it.[p]JJ always cooks a great leg of lamb at the Eggfests. Maybe his recipe is posted around here, but I cannot find it.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Silence of the Leg O' Lamb [/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Seth:[p]If you used anything you should use something light like pecan, maple or fruit woods. I think I would try it with just lump the first time. You may find the grilled flavor to be enough on its own.
    [/b]
  • Animal Eater
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,Oh MAN... I've tried this paste/rub several times and it is fool-proof. Highly advised. I usually TRIPLE the amount of mint though. Also, due to the high sugar content, apply this paste no more than an hour before you start your fire. I like to totally debone the leg, liberally slather this paste over all surfaces, then tie it all up to make a nice uniform roast. I pull out of the egg when the Polder says 131F for a nice rare roast. Anything more than 134F is too done. Go for domestic lamb if you can get it and avoid the shank portion.[p]

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Good suggestions, esp. the fruit woods. I'm partial to grape vine - just seems more in keeping with the "greek-ness."
    Ken

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]I'm kind of partial to cherry wood...did lamb for Thanksgiving that was great!
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    Cooked flat (not rolled), indirect, I'd reckon about 45 mins to an hour at 250 to 275º. Animal Eater's got the internal numbers - 135º is plenty.
    Enjoy!
    Ken

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Interesting. I do mine direct over a hot fire, 450-550. Slight char on outside; inside temp 135 as you suggest. I have not done it indirect over smoke; may be my next act. What I do do over a low,slo fire is lamb shoulder, cooked like a butt until the internal temp is 200. Outstanding if rubbed with Moroccan spices first and done with applewood smoke. Happy holidays.

• Animal Eater
    Options
    Marvin,
    What do you do with the lamb shoulder? Pull it? Slice it? How much do they typically weigh? Is there a lot of fat?

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Animal Eater,
    We usually slice it. When cooked lo-n-slo, the fat is dissolved into a drip pan just like with a pork butt also a shoulder). When served, there is little fat and wonderful flavor. Give it a try.