Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tiki Bar Update....

Options
TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last time I posted I told you I was getting a Tiki Bar. I still am, but it won't be for another few weeks.

I will spare you all the details, but it seems my contractor has ripped me off. In my condition (I know I have mentioned I have MS since May of 2008) I can't really cook on my beloved Eggs they way I had them set up. So, we had a handyman who was finishing up a previous house project and we contracted with him for the Tiki Bar. We gave him some money for materials, some are here, some are not.

To make a long story painfully short, he was supposed to be back this past week. I called him the other day, he said was on his way. After waiting for 5 hours, he was a no show. After reaching him again, he was 10 minutes away. After a 1/2 hour, he was a no-show. This wasn't the first time this happened. It's about the 5th or 6th.

In the meantime, I wheeled my beloved new small BGE out to the patio, fired it up, grilled some salmon with a glaze I got out of a Eggtoberfest Cookbook. It was delightful.

In the interim, I found two new contractors. These guys are more trustworthy. More money I really didn't intend to spend. I am still pursuing the other character.

But I did get out and Egged again after another hiatus. It felt good. My Eggs missed me. I missed them more.

Tom

Comments

• soulfish
    Options
    Our prayers go out to you. I have been battling cancer all summer. My time with the eggs has been limited. I'm hoping to have a chicken shack built next summer if still around. Something like the Spring Chicken Coop. I hope your tiki bar turns out just how you want it. Good luck.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Call the contractor again for one more chance and then call the State's Attorney to file charges if they don't show. Tell the contractor of your intentions and demand the money be returned or finish the project. Sometimes contractors are just trying to put out the biggest fire first. Make your project the biggest fire!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    ce is right. We have a lot of that here in Fl. I bid unfinished jobs at least once a month and will continue until the shady ones are cracked down on.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Tom,

Let us know where you live. If you lived near me, as an attorney I have numerous contacts in local law enforcement and possibly could you in touch with the person who could help you either (1) get your money back, or (2) motivate your contractor. Also I could assist you in pursuing a civil action against the scoundrel.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Along those same lines, contact the BBB and the County Chamber of Commerce. Push him from several angles and you will either get a refund or results.

Be sure to explain in your initial complaints what you expect the resolution to be.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Tom, where are you located?
  • TomCPA
    Options
    I live in MD, about 1/2 hour from WessB.

Thanks for all the assistance. I have lived here 46 years and made a lot of contacts. so I have contacts in the legal and law enforcement community. This guy was duly warned not to screw with me. One builder declared bankruptcy because I sued him after a project he walked out on. Funny thing, he was nearly done. I don't just sue people, believe me.

A client referred this guy to me. I am calling the client later after I try again to make contact. The client will get ticked off (not at me) and call this guy.

As I said, it's a long story, but after I contracted with him for finish up work then the Tiki Bar, which he mostly did, he had a heart attack. He and his crew came back for a couple of days and plowed ahead on starting laying pipe and buying materials for the tiki bar. Then he was gone. Out of the blue one day he calls, comes by spends some time here and needs some cash for more materials. My head said no, but he was reliable in the past, so I went ahead. That was the last I saw him.

I can't really afford to get mad as it sets off my MS. So, I remain calm as I can.

So here I am trying to nail this guy down. I have his daughter's phone numbers and his mom's phone numbers, but this isn't their problem (he called me from both places one day; caller ID is a great thing). It's his.

Tom
  • TomCPA
    Options
    FYI, I meant to say he mostly did the finish up work. The tiki bar is a whole bunch of wood laying in my back yard right now.

Tom