Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tenderloin

Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,
Every year for Christmas I have smoked a pork tenderloin in a Brinkman water smoker. It ususally take about four hours. The first hour I smoke it with season salt then for the next three hours I baste it in a special sause every twenty minutes. Then for the last hour I baste it with honey and brown sugar.
Now that I have an Egg all that I read says I need to cook it at 300 degrees for 30 or 40 minutes. Any suggestions as to how I can get all my steps in that short of time? Should I just cook it at a lower temperature for a longer period? I would really appreciate your advice. Merry Christmas, Tom

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Tom,
    You can cook your pork the same way that you have in the past. I would cook it with indirect heat however.[p]Just a quick question, when you say Pork Tenderloin do you mean Pork Loin? True Pork Tenderloins are small very lean strips of meat that should be cooked over high heat for short periods of time. Even Pork loins are rather lean and benefit from a hotter direct cook.[p]That being said, if I were to slow smoke a whole Pork loin, I would choose one that still has the ribs attached such as 3100 Loin, Center Cut, Bone-In in the attached link. That way there should be enough fat to keep the meat moist during an extended cook.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Pork Cuts[/ul]
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    RhumAndJerk,
    Know, it is a tenderloin. Is there a problem cooking it slow? Tom

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Tom,
    The only issue that I can see is that pork tenderloin may dry out during a long cook. However, you counter this by basting with a special sauce. I would still cook over indirect heat and follow the your recipe the way that you always have.[p]Please, post your recipe, as I would like to give it a try. Honey and Pork are great combination.[p]It must be lunchtime because my mouth is watering thinking about some grilled pork.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Tom,
    Pork tenderloin is one of my favorite cooks and I agree, it is best done at 350* for 30-40 minutes. Since the goal of the basting is to keep it moist and you don't really need that in the egg, you might try reducing the temp just a bit, go with a shorter cook time, turning once and basting then; add a dwell period where you can finish it with the sauce.
    And, I might give one a whirl this week before Christmas dinner. If you're like most of us, a little extra pork is not a bad thing! Please let us know what method you try and results.