Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curious. Rural, Suburban or Urban?

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    DSC_0228.jpg
    im in a rural neighborhood surrounded by suburbia. rural in the sense that its 30 old small camps (some big boxes creeping in) nestled on a quiet lake, no motorboats, surrounded by large wooded sections, deer fox rabbits and occasional coyote. suberban with the fact there is water, sewer, trashpickup, a dozen or so supermarkets, too many strip malls and big malls, and a 25 minute drive to the north station in boston. its kind of strange having everything so close, yet sitting on my deck i would consider traffic to be two rowboats out on the lake. i guess thats all suburban, but it sure doesnt feel that way. now my camp up north is definatly rural, its on the end of a dirt road, firelane 51 and the only store nearby is jordans general store with all the essentials, beer booze and bait
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    Suburban (12 miles west of DC). Would rather be rural. Transformed backyard into an oasis of love, happiness and BBQ - that's the best we can do for now!
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Options
    Definitely Suburban. In Gilbert, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix. Typical stucco neighborhood with houses very close together and a small backyard. Gilbert still has lots of farms, etc though.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Urban (and loving it!). Our car is parked for weeks at a time, as everything we need is within walking distance. Within a block is a Library, grocery, Post Office, four restaurants and two brew pubs. Moved here from really rural - on 40 acres in the hills, 45 min. drive for a loaf of bread (or a pork butt). That was right for then - this is right for now.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Suburban, 5 min for beer and snacks, 10 min to beach,45 min to disney and 30 min to good hunting. Can catch bass down the street and good trout and red fishing 10 min away.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Suburban, 10 Mi. to the Ocean.
    Ross
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Definitely sub. We live in a community of about 500 homes that are around 25 years old, so trees are mature. All on +/- 2 acres with lots of ponds, lakes and open spaces in between. Seven miles to all the shopping we need, 60 minutes by train to Chicago, 10 minutes to horses, corn and soy fields and 25 minutes to Wisconsin.

Here is a view of our color last Saturday. Look closely under the tree on the right and you will see a breeding pair of Sand Hill Cranes that have been in this community longer than we have. The third member of the group is their offspring, now so large that I cannot identify it from it's parents.

FallColors.jpg

SandHillCranes.jpg
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    In the Burbs.... 5 min from the Cheasapeake, 25 from DC, 20 from Baltimore, 4hrs,32 min from Celtic Wolf's Den.
  • Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    Options
    Urban, yet cozy & nice neighborhood. My wife and I have a small townhome here in Atlanta, off Peachtree Memorial. Have nice patio where we fire up the egg, the neighbors love the smell when we cook :)
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Very rural 3 acres on a beautiful old stripper-pit. Two and one-half miles to cold beer, five to a convenient store and ten to the city. Love it most of the time. Not quite to the edge of the earth, but it can be seen from here. Guess that would make me somewhat of an edge-of-the-earth expert, huh?
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Used to be rural when I was a kid. Used to hunt and fish where the wal-mart is now. now it's just a big urban sprawl.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The cranes are everywhere. Mate for life and have 1-2 chicks every couple of years.

Our front yard a few years ago. They are around here all the time.

BIRDS.jpg

Sand Hill Cranes

Extraordinary!!These pics were taken in the Suntree area of Florida ~Viera~ south of Cocoa & Titusville . A Sand Hill Crane couple recently had an exciting addition to their family. When they built their nest near the water's edge it immediately drew attention of passers by. Soon there were two eggs sitting on top of the nest and the mother on top of them. The really curious passed by the site every morning and would stop their cars to get out and see if there were any new cranes yet. Many brought cameras of all shapes and sizes and would stand near the water for long periods of time hoping to catch a photo of the hatching. Robert Grover, a dentist, didn't actually catch the birth but, he sure did capture some fabulous shots of the Momma, Papa and baby (the second egg never hatched). Then he put together a slide show with music that is just too good to not share it.

http://albums.phanfare.com/1487167/2226803#imageID=33323623

http://albums.phanfare.com/1487167/2226939#imageID=33326294

Hope you enjoy!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    jeffinsgf,

Good Thread.

I would be rural but relatively close to a small town. Fifty miles northwest of Toronto.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'm in Kirkwood, a suburb 15 miles from downtown St. Louis, but it's got a small-town feel to it despite being surrounded by other municipalities.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    No excuse not to come down for the First Annual Den party then is there..

Now I just need to build the Den..
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Home of KSHE 95! My college roommate's wife is from Kirkwood. He's from LaDue. S & SW subs of St. Louis are some nice places.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    You should be able to hear everything...the area behind you is dead quiet. :blink:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Richard,
    Thanks for posting.
    Looks like Robert put many hours into this
    and it shows.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Quite dead too LOL...

Spring "Poltergeist Dumping Ground" Chicken
  • shaunmac
    Options
    rural
    10 min. to grocery store
    1 mi. from App. Trail
    many farms close by
    20 min. to kids school.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Country, about 30 miles s.w. of Augusta, GA. Small town (Wrens) with 2 grocery stores within five miles. Dirt road, nearest neighbor over 1/2 away, surrounded by farmland.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Fun post.

Area growing fast. Suburbs now - in a large valley. Rugged mountains to the east and mountains to the west Kennecott, worlds largest open pit copper mine.

Within 2 - 6 hours we have one can get to Yellowstone National Park, Zion's National Park, Uinta National Park, Four Corners National Park, Lake Powel & Hover Damn Monument Valley, Dinosaur National Monument and much more.

Great outdoor western living. Very cold in the winter and very warm in the summer.

GG
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    Suburban, about 20 minutes from downtown Birmingham, AL.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    HMMM An island, but with two bridges. Island is rural but a small town is 3/4 a mile away. Bangor is 30 minutes. Portland 2.5 hours, Boston 4.5 hours
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Yep, I'm in the southeast corner of Aurora, about a mile from the Naperville border.

You and I met briefly at Eggwego fest...I was the soaking wet guy. :woohoo:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    In that case there sure were a lot of you. -RP
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    ? in the late 50's we were suburban surrounded by rural.
    There was a swim and tennis club built to attract folks to move out here.
    Now we are 10 mins. from downtown Nashville and 2 mins from major shopping. We do have an acre with lots of woods around us.

Walt
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Small town.Large lot subdivision.1.5 acres.Kinda like a 21st century Mayberry but growing fast!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03949a2.jpg

I live in the fringe suburbs, (under the black arrow), the property around me being annexed into the city of 50,000 a couple of years ago. Statewide population is 500,000 so when you do the math the population density is 5 people per square mile. 48% of the land is state or federal. It's funny, we have way more pronghorns than people.

cf41af5c.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    rural but used to live in London then by the coast, now in the middle.