Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curious. Rural, Suburban or Urban?

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just out of curiousity, how about a roll call. Do you live in the country, the suburbs or downtown? I'll start, I'm rural. 6 miles to the closest convenience store. 13 miles to the supermarket. We have 10 acres. No commute, we own our business, which is on the same property (but not out of the house).

Comments

• We must be neighbors cause I have about the same stats!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    suburban, 1 minute from the closest horse farm, 5 minutes to the closest small town/county seat, 45 miutes/1 hour to center city Philly
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Burbs. 30 minutes from downtown Orlando, 40 miutes from Disneyworld, 5 minutes from about 15 nursuries, 30 minutes from Seaworld or Universal Studios, 45 minutes from NASA, a little over an hour from either Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Ocean.

Still southern an lovin' it.

Cajun
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sub-urban. we have a small "city-lot" (50x150) in a town 12 miles north of boston. i can be in town (that means "in the city" in New Englandese) in fifteen minutes.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Urban, well, maybe "post-urban"? I live within walking distance of grocery store, gas stations, fire station, pharmacy, hardware store, liquor store, dry cleaner, near 2 bus routes, couple of grills and taverns, etc. However, this is an old industrial neighborhood, and I live almost literally in the shadow of an old factory that is slowly being raized, and about 1/4 of the residential lots are now empty. Fortunately, most of the neighbor's have not minded the steady plume of grill smoke from my back yard over the years.
  • Rural and lovin' it. 10 minutes to the nearest conveniance store and 25 minutes to the nearest town, Alexander City. 2 1/2 acre lakefront property with one full time neighbor the rest are weekenders. Only drawback...can't plant any ornamentals around the homestead. Deer and other furry critters eat them up. Oh well they were here first. :angry:
    Bob
    Alex City, Al B)

Opelika, Alabama
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I am suburban in the truest sense of the word. I am in a bedroom community full of soccer moms and SUVs about 30 miles NE of Atlanta - but the city is moving our direction every day.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    We are in the suburb, but almost rural (if that counts or really exists).

The area where we are is full of Horse Farms (and if the wind blows the right way, you know it), but it is changing. More homes are being developed. The economic slowdown may have something to say about that. We are in a small community of 70 homes.
  • We live in a small town on the Jersey Shore, less than an hour from Manhattan on the Jersey Coast rail line. Our quarter acre lot is one of the larger properties in our part of town. We can walk to the grocery store, the liquor store and the hardware store and lots of other shops and professional services.
  • Country. Nearest small town(pop. 3500)and gas stations are about 15 minutes and surrounded by Amish Dutch. Nearest Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot are about 30 minute drive. One hour north of Pittsburgh and 1.5 hours southeast of Cleveland.
  • Rural, definately rural. About 30 minutes west of Athens and nearly 90 minutes east of Atlanta. The few that have been to our place can attest. If you get there you had good instructions or are really lost. Mapquest doesn't even find us. :ermm:
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Suburban-Urban. Scottsdale, AZ 1 Acre lots with Horse Privlages (No Horses for me). Accross the street from the 7th hole of a golf course. 1 mile from 3 grocery stores. Within 3 miles of 6-7 grocery stores, 3 Home Depots, 3 best buys, 2 Targets, Costco and Sam's Club. Close to the 101 inter-loop. But a nice quit neighbor hood because of the large lots. We have lots of wild rabbits and coyotes.
  • jeffinsgf
    Don't you love it? If you put our address in Mapquest, you end up about 15 miles away on the wrong road.
  • We're in Spring Texas USA, an unincorporated 'burb of 40,000 about 25 miles north of downtown Houston. We can hear roosters crowing in the morning and trains in the distance at night. Everything we need is within five minutes of us. Been here 20 years and plan on staying.

Spring "Home Sweet Home" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • You must have tried to find us!! :side: :woohoo:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
  • jeffinsgf
    Check with your state conservation department and see if they have information on landscaping with native plants. It's become a big part of how we landscape and it works in tune with the critters. Some of the stuff they love, so you plant a lot and let them have it. Others are distasteful, so they leave it alone. If you plant enough of the stuff they like, they'll leave some of the stuff they normally devour alone. It's been fun finding the balance.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Suburban Austin, TX.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I'm in the Suburbs right in between Rural & Urban. 25 miles north of Atlanta, and about 6-8 miles NW of "Smokey". The old man who sold off all the land where my subdivision is still has the farm house complete with cattle and horses. Oddly, there is a Pool/Spa/BGE dealer right nest to the horse farm.

Woodstock, GA
  • Suburban. Far west suburbs of Chicago...last burbs before the corn fields begin. But the city expands constantly, and the nearest cornfields are always being converted to suburbs.
  • It was semi-rural 30 years ago when we moved here, now it is a very crowded northern suburb of atlanta
  • philadelphia suburbs... was rural here when i was growing up.. every day another farm grows a crop of
    McMansions or townhouses. meat packing/ slaughter houses all around,,, hatfield packing a mile away 12,000 porkgasms, still on the hoof, processed every day. to bad it doesn't smell like bacon when the wind blows this way.
  • Rural, but….
    We’ve got a 60 a. tree farm about 25 minutes from the “city” (just over 7K) with my closest neighbor across the road, but I can’t see them.
    We are between two lakes that are well populated, that are both with in easy walking distance. OTOH, we have an oasis here with ½ mile of woods toward either Lk. (N. & S.), well over a thousand acres (except for the one neighbor) of wooded land to the E. and surrounded on three side (on the back 40) with about 400 acres of wooded county land that I’m told will never be developed because of some sort of trust when it was turned over to the county.
    It’s pretty quiet out here and NOBODY ever complains of smoke!

Spuds
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Rural 47 acres. Several convenience stores around me. Closest is less then a mile. Doesn't have much. Da Wal*Mart Super Center is 20 miles away. Food Lion is about 10.

Nobody wants to live in Henderson so I am not worried about being citified any time soon.

47 Miles from the TNW er Raleigh 30 miles south of the Virginia Border.

6 hours from 5 major NASCAR Tracks. 1 hour from NHL Hocky team, UNC-CH, Duke, and NCSU, and 2.5 hours from Carolina Panthers and NBA's Carolin Bobcats.

Only complaint I get about smoke is "What's taken so long?"

What is "commute"?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Sounds like you are near where I grew up, in Naperville. -RP
  • Commute is what we all hope is done shortly to your unemployment sentence. Great to see you again Saturday.
    Tom
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    It was 14 miles of dirt road to get to my house when I built it, now we have to wait for traffic to get out of the neighborhood. Still feels rural, we're on 7 acres with horses. -RP
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Live on 3 1/2 acres of hardwoods on "Posh" West side of a central MA City of 175,000. I have a studio in my own home. Most conveniences within a mile, walk in the woods right out back door.
  • I live in a small town 50 miles N.E. of Detroit. The St. Clair river separates us from Canada.