Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex Gasket Durability Report

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After pulling the butt off the large yesterday, I stirred the coals, added a little fresh lump, & reconfigured for a high temp cook (slew of pizzas). For some reason, when the fire started in earnest, the flames were concentrated on the right rear portion of the egg. I watched helplessly (through the top vent) as the flames abusively torched the gasket in that area for about an hour during the preheat & rotation of 4 pizzas. I resigned myself to the fact that my relatively new gasket (2-3 weeks) would be melted & compromised. To my surprise, the damage assessment this morning revealed that the gasket is in perfect condition, just a little discolored. A similar flaming situation in the mini a week or 2 ago resulted in massive damage to the old syle gasket. I think Nomex is the way to go:

IMG_1908.jpg

Look at the right side towards the back, top & bottom:

IMG_1854.jpg
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Thanks for the report. Reaffirmed my intention to go Nomex when the time comes. My felt looks pretty ratty but continues to do the job so I'm sticking with it as long as I can.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    My large gasket is a goner but till it is a big issue I will be fine. I think I am getting near though. :(
  • BBQDawg
    BBQDawg Posts: 56
    Options
    I just noticed about an hour ago that I'm having a lot of smoke coming out between the lid and bottom -- guessing its the gasket that needs replacing. Never had an issue before. Also noticed that I'm having to open the bottom vent and daisy wheel quite a bit more than I have had to in the past to even get up to 300 or so. Hope these are all traced back to only needing a new gasket.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Dawg, I don't think so, the gasket (or lack of one) would be more likely to cause an inability to go really low in temp, not high, or maintain a steady temp especially in windy conditions; prior to putting on this new gasket, my old one was essentially dust & had been for at least a couple of years, yet I never had any problem pinning the guage on 750. You may have air flow issues related to clogging in the fire box, or maybe too much dust in your lump...
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I agree with the waiting, I put my replacement off for years as I really didn't experience much of a difference with a shot gasket (maybe less efficiency with the lump & a little more volatility in temp, but not too much to be concerned), I did this more out of opportunity when disassembling the egg for the table refinishing project last month, figured I would go for the overhaul while the hands were dirty ;)
    happy in the hut
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the update Zippy! My large is only about a year old and the gasket is heavily toasted, but interestingly I don't lose a lot of smoke at the seal - BUT, like you, I know the time will come.

And when it does, this info helps confirm what I was planning.

How's the Pity Party going for you this weekend. We've got GEORGEOUS weather here in Austin (sunny and 74), and I've been marinating two chickens worth of parts (in my first homemade Jerk sauce) for 24 hours...and still going. Can't wait to get them on the egg this evening!

As a matter of fact, I think I'll start a What are you cooking for the Pity Party thread....