Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ci grate

safetyman
safetyman Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where can I get a cast iron grate for my LBGE, so I can TRex some steaks? I already have the 'spider' and 'adjustible rig'. Thanks in advance and hope all 'eggers' enjoy the EGGfest in Tucker, wish I was there.

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    You need the BGE "small" CI grate. Don't get the medium, it won't fit -- don't ask me how I know this. :unsure:

Should be available from your dealer or from Hotlanta.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Try your BGE dealer..or if you want to order online, try Fred's, or the mothership...
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Safetyman,

I stock CI grate at my stores in Cumming and Dawsonville, GA.
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    If your large is an 07 or earlier model, you need the medium ci grate, if an 08 model you need the small.
    You van verify this with tgv whom you bouhgt the spider from.

best
    allen
  • jeffinsgf
    Okay, now I know I'm not completely nuts. I was sure that I read on TJV's old site that I needed a medium and bought it. When it didn't fit, I went to the new site, and it said to get a small.

So, a Large Egg is not as large as it was last year?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    That's a very interesting question... If you can get to a dealer that has a 'large' on display, I would carefully compare some measurements to check the fit. On the other hand, call ATL and get the real scoop. That's what they promise to deliver!!
  • How old is your spider?

jeffinsgf wrote:
    Okay, now I know I'm not completely nuts. I was sure that I read on TJV's old site that I needed a medium and bought it. When it didn't fit, I went to the new site, and it said to get a small.

So, a Large Egg is not as large as it was last year?
  • jeffinsgf
    Both the Spider and Egg are brand new.
  • i believe it is more of the new design of the spider then the size of the eggs changing that much. i read somethingon the old site to that effect. but then again with all of the downsizing going on maybe bge is slowly making the eggs smaller like the cereal company's are doing with their boxes....hmmmmm makes you think.
  • The large BGE grate fits fine in the large BGE. I bought my egg in April if that makes any difference. I bought mine from the mothership.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Interesting conversation. I just got my large in August at the Denver eggfest. What mesurements am I looking for. Also where am I mesuring? The base from edge to edge?
    By the way I'm feeling under the weather so I went to the liquor store for hot toddy makins and there was a couple in the parking lot with a big sign, BBQ. They were cooking ribs, brats and chicken on a charcoal horizontal grill using Kingsford chemical crap. I got out of the car and could totally smell the chemicals.
    What a difference after cooking on the BGE for almost 2 years and being able to smell the difference.
    Thanks,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • The large cast iron grate is 18-3/16 (call it 18.25) inches in diameter at the widest point. The inside diameter of the large at the top of the ring where the grate sits is about 19 inches (probably a tad over 19). Hope this helps.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks, I'll measure myne when I filler up for tomorrows cook.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    The newer eggs have a different size fire ring that requires a smaller spider. The smaller spider can only hold a small CI grid. Older eggs can use the newer spider w/ a small grid, but if you can locate an older model spider, it will accomodate the medium grid. I recently ordered an adustable grid and spider for my '02 Large. It came w/ a newer model spider. Another forum member got his rig and it came w/ the older spider which wouldn't fit his newer egg. Instead of returning his spider, we swapped. I can now accomodate the larger grid for sears. Of course the Large CI grid will fit your egg as a replacement/substitute for the factory grid, but if you want to put the grid right down over the coals, it's gonna take a small grid on the new model spider (Tom only makes the newer design now). Hope this answers your questions.
  • jeffinsgf
    Okay, so they beefed up the fire ring. That makes sense now.