Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham for chopped BBQ

Options
blown 87
blown 87 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A local BBQ joint has the best chopped Pork BBQ I have ever had.
They tell me they use Hams for it????????

The meat is white, I would love to try to cook some like this, this weekend.

Any suggestions on where to buy the ham, what kind, cooking tips?

Greg

Comments

• Harold's is a classic BBQ restaurant in Atlanta, SE of Turner Field, that serves chopped or sliced hams.

Harold's is one of the best. They smoke hams the same way most guys smoke shoulders. There was a TV program about it a couple years ago, but I couldn't find it online. I have eaten there for years, and I never realized they were smoking hams until I saw the show. Harold's also has the best Brunswick stew.

Here's a link to a review of Harold's, including a reference to the hams:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=111&sid=e895a5bb432ec906a0b1f96c1243664c
  • To be more responsive to your original question:

BBQ the ham the same way you would a shoulder (or constituent parts of boston butt and/or pork picnic). It might take a little less than the average of 2 hours per pound for pork shoulder. From time to time, I see fresh (not cooked or smoked) hams for sale at my local grocery stores (Kroger and Publix). A butcher could give you one for sure.

Good luck!
    Kevin
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    if it is white then it was an uncured ham before they cooked it. you can find raw hams at most meat purveyors. good luck
  • blown 87
    Options
    Thanks Kevin, I see you are from Tyrone, I am just down the road in Sharpsburg (harelson)
    The place I am talking about is the Speedi-Pig in Fayetville.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I by no means am an expert on this subject...

Ham's usually turn out a pink or pinkish red. From your description what you ate was probably not ham, you should be able to recognize by the taste.

When I cook a pork tenderloin roast it comes out white and very tasty. I usually cook indirect raised grid until 140° - 145° and let it rest for about an hour.

Anyway, I think thirdeye has some information on his site Playing With Fire and Smoke. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

I see thirdeye is logged in, possibly he will give you the straight info on this.

GG
  • blown 87
    Options
    So I need a raw ham, cook it like I do a boston butt?
    What kind of internal temps should I be looking for?
    I cook my butts to 200-202 with that great unit called the DigiQ.

I would have given up trying to cook butts with out it.
    My shameless plug for a great product, who have great customer service.
  • blown 87
    Options
    I really wonder if they are using hams, it does not taste or look like ham, but the folks that work there swear it is.

I always tip them very well and have been going in for years, they swear it is ham.
    I have my doubts.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "fresh" ham is uncured. it's the nitrates in the cure that make it pink.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    What Stike said ! If you cook a fresh ham the meat will be white.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    So it's kinda like an "uncured" ham will come out white? glad you guys brought that to light.
  • blown 87
    Options
    Thanks guys, I got a fresh ham on right now, I am going to cook it like it was a butt and take it off at 190.
    I hope it is done sometime tomorrow night. :laugh: